View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
One does not simply eliminate the anode of a battery and still have a battery.
It doesn't sound quantom at all. Sounds more like the solovated electron phenomenon. Which has barely been studied science hasn't even gotten to the point where we know if one of the possible application is a battery.
Well its definitely different. Usually battery news is something to the effect of "we are going to make the same battery impossibly smaller and impossibly cheaper than the other guy".
Apparently GM is planning solid state for v2 of their Ultium battery, but there's hardly any news on that. Samsung is the only other company with solid state news I'm aware of.

Here's my comment from the Bolt forum;

The only news I found regarding GM's 2nd gen Ultium solid state battery is here, combined with an article about QuantumScape.

https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2...es-new-battery

Current manufacturing improvements already promise to deliver similar capabilities as the claims of solid state. I can't see solid state getting incorporated into a cylindrical cell considering the volume change that takes place when charging. It would cause friction and movement between the wound layers, and especially cause problems for Tesla's new tabless design.

Seems prismatic or pouches would be the only way to implement solid state, which lends credibility to the notion that it is the superior format.

Regarding Tesla, it's still unclear to me what technology they wanted from Maxwell. Did Maxwell have solid state expertise, or something other than ultracapacitor expertise?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!