View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I hadn't noticed it, but after reading Oil Pans' tip about the oil smelling like gasoline, I noticed that it DOES smell like gas.
There is also blowby into the cylinders and when I pull out the spark plugs, they have oil in the threads.

I first noticed the oil in the threads around 10 years ago.
I don't know if this applies to you, but I have a theory that a lot of people are getting ring problems from not changing their oil often enough.

Toyotas, even with all their fame for being reliable, are also known for being oil burners. Right now I'm dealing with an oil burning Prius.

Most people blame Toyota for not making big enough oil relief passages around the oil control rings which over time allows sludge to build up and stop up the passages. Then the pistons effectively become oil pumps and pump oil up into the cylinders as the engine runs. But I think at least part of the problems is that people also like to go as long as they can without changing their oil. I theorize that by the time most Toyota owners change their oil (maybe once a year, if that, regardless of distance driven) the oil is now dirty and has lost it's detergent capabilities, which then causes that crud to build up there. Some have seen improvements by using a high detergent oil. I think that maybe just changing oil more often would solve the whole problem. We'll see though with my two Toyotas if I can fix the one and prevent the other from this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
How do you charge the car around town ?
Besides the chargers being out of service, or blocked, how do people in "Leaves" charge their cars when they cant fast charge like Teslas do ?
It seems like things would back up fast, and other EV owners would get mad !
When I had my Leaf I did charge at home, but a lot, if not most, was not at home. I would park at an outlet at my place of work (I didn't even ask. I still plug my block heater in there today, and nobody else plugs in nor bothers me about it.) I also used free public charging places all the time. I did have to walk around a bit more. But for the most part I never ever had any problem with charging stations being full of cars. The only charging problem I had was once on a 400 mile trip I was planning on charging at a station that ended up being out of service when I got there.

And I'm talking about a couple years ago in Western Colorado where there's maybe one little charging station with one or two charging spots in each big town about every 70 miles away from each other.

Still to this day I always check as I pass by the charging stations and don't think I've seen where there's hadn't been a place for another car to charge. Usually the charging stations are empty or have only one car charging.

Man, I miss my Leaf! I do think I probably should trade in my Prius for a Leaf again if the price for a decent Leaf ever get's low enough.