Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Growin a stash

The other test you could do is put a drop of used oil on an inclined metal plate. Put a drop of fresh oil next to it. See which one drips down faster.

I'd actually be interested to see that.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
Hello from Austin!

I wouldn't worry much about three years. My car has an oil life monitor and it's only down to 55% after 1.5 years. I've driven probably 5000 miles in that time, too.

Might want to think about selling the car, though. Doesn't sound like you really need it. I'm trying to talk my wife down to one car. :P
Austin !
Glad to see you here !

I hadn't noticed it, but after reading Oil Pans' tip about the oil smelling like gasoline, I noticed that it DOES smell like gas.
There is also blowby into the cylinders and when I pull out the spark plugs, they have oil in the threads.

I first noticed the oil in the threads around 10 years ago.

I have a bit of driving anxiety ( or a LOT actually ) as well as social anxiety / agoraphobia.
So this is actually my one and only car.

I live across the street from where i work and get food.

The car has never let me down despite me destroying it, so the least I can do is change the oil.

I walked over to CarMax and took a look at a Leaf.
I'm a geek about EVs, so thought about buying one ( I've seen them under 5K ! )
But with the amount of driving I do, it certainly doesnt make sense.
I also live in an apartment and would have to rent a garage $ .

How do you charge the car around town ?
Besides the chargers being out of service, or blocked, how do people in "Leaves" charge their cars when they cant fast charge like Teslas do ?
It seems like things would back up fast, and other EV owners would get mad !

BTW, I just noticed Austin just got an electric bus.
It has wheel skirts ! ( Wheel skirts, but no taper at the back though )
Old 12-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I hadn't noticed it, but after reading Oil Pans' tip about the oil smelling like gasoline, I noticed that it DOES smell like gas.
There is also blowby into the cylinders and when I pull out the spark plugs, they have oil in the threads.

I first noticed the oil in the threads around 10 years ago.
I don't know if this applies to you, but I have a theory that a lot of people are getting ring problems from not changing their oil often enough.

Toyotas, even with all their fame for being reliable, are also known for being oil burners. Right now I'm dealing with an oil burning Prius.

Most people blame Toyota for not making big enough oil relief passages around the oil control rings which over time allows sludge to build up and stop up the passages. Then the pistons effectively become oil pumps and pump oil up into the cylinders as the engine runs. But I think at least part of the problems is that people also like to go as long as they can without changing their oil. I theorize that by the time most Toyota owners change their oil (maybe once a year, if that, regardless of distance driven) the oil is now dirty and has lost it's detergent capabilities, which then causes that crud to build up there. Some have seen improvements by using a high detergent oil. I think that maybe just changing oil more often would solve the whole problem. We'll see though with my two Toyotas if I can fix the one and prevent the other from this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
How do you charge the car around town ?
Besides the chargers being out of service, or blocked, how do people in "Leaves" charge their cars when they cant fast charge like Teslas do ?
It seems like things would back up fast, and other EV owners would get mad !
When I had my Leaf I did charge at home, but a lot, if not most, was not at home. I would park at an outlet at my place of work (I didn't even ask. I still plug my block heater in there today, and nobody else plugs in nor bothers me about it.) I also used free public charging places all the time. I did have to walk around a bit more. But for the most part I never ever had any problem with charging stations being full of cars. The only charging problem I had was once on a 400 mile trip I was planning on charging at a station that ended up being out of service when I got there.

And I'm talking about a couple years ago in Western Colorado where there's maybe one little charging station with one or two charging spots in each big town about every 70 miles away from each other.

Still to this day I always check as I pass by the charging stations and don't think I've seen where there's hadn't been a place for another car to charge. Usually the charging stations are empty or have only one car charging.

Man, I miss my Leaf! I do think I probably should trade in my Prius for a Leaf again if the price for a decent Leaf ever get's low enough.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

I did the oil drip test, and the old oil drips down only slightly faster than the new oil on a polished metal surface when held at an angle. ( a peanut butter lid )
Rather than take a whiff of the dipstick, i smelled the inside of the oil fill cap this time.
It smells like old oil to me, but probably has that gasolin-like smell others mentioned.
The new oil smells like the plastic container it was in, ( not much of an odor ) and now i wonder how old IT is. ( I need to write dates on things )
I started noticing oil seeping from the valve cover around the same time i noticed it leaking into the cyliners.
The oil is filthy, and looks like mud.
I think it's about time to change it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201215_161516.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	29780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201215-161155_Gallery.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	29781   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201215_162829.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	29782  
Old 12-15-2020, 11:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Only 3 years? My old boss said he hadn't changed the oil in his Lexus LS430 for I think it was...6 years :O

He said it with a kind of guilty "I'm dumb" grin on his face, so I dropped my jaw and tried to do my best "I'm amazed your engine hasn't seized" face.

More seriously, I don't see much of a point in monitoring oil life...in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot more expensive maintenance items to do on a car, and keeping oil clean is probably the single most critical. Is it really too expensive to put a fresh jug of Supertech synthetic in every year?
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-15-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I can't tell. Is everybody smiling on this thread? The OP is a dilly.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
Is a knowing smirk equivalent to a smile?
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Growin a stash

A 30-month oil analysis thread-- https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...ner-v8.329130/

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-21-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
I doubt much will happen. I bought the Ranger in 2018 and didn't change the oil until a month or two ago. I also didn't drive it but maybe 1000 miles. And that oil was from the previous owner. I realistically wouldn't change a fresh oil change until i hit 3000 miles regardless of age of oil.
I'm in the same boat. I would sell the Ranger but after insurance, property tax, and tags I'm actually making money on the truck.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
I can't tell. Is everybody smiling on this thread? The OP is a dilly.
"Dilly" - I had to look that up.
So your calling me an idiot. *
Thanks.
So ok I AM an idiot, but have some courtesy.
I'm finding that there are jerks here just like elsewhere on the internet.

You all are the people that other people make fun of, and now you are making fun of me ?

Perhaps you didn't read my sarcasm very well in some of the posts, and you just thought I was trolling.
I did ask a valid question though, and indeed I have gone ( 3 ? ) years without changing my oil.

I just changed it yesterday.
The oil is black like mollases, but flows like the new oil i just put in.
It has a strong used oil smell, but I can't tell how much of the odor is like gasoline.
( Is that really a sign of bad oil, or was that a joke too ? )

The car is a piece of crap, i hardly drive it at all, and I have extreme OCD with several things.
I could care less about much of anything in life anymore, so the car just sits.
I didn't want to ask questions like this on a car forum, because those are the guys that i assume would expect a person to change the oil every couple of months, and act as if your commited an automotive sin by not doing so.

So i asked here.

Dealerships will tell people they need to replace parts that are totally fine every few years.
This is how business works.
I just wanted to know if it was the same way with oil changes.

* GrammerNotsee put that in for sarcasm

Reply  Post New Thread