Thread: fuel question
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
SuperTrooper
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It's funny about the cost of fuel in Mexico.All PEMEX fuel is refined from Mexican crude in Houston,TX,then "exported" to Mexico for sale at the national stations.Texas truckers are driving across the border into Mexico to buy diesel manufactured in the U.S.,at less than half the price! It's less than 1/10th the cost in Venezuela.
*shakes head*

PEMEX has 6 refineries in Mexico with a combined refining capacity of 1,528,000 barrels per day. PEMEX subcontracts about 600,000 bpd to US refineries, almost all of which is refined to diesel with the remainder jet fuel. Let's not forget PEMEX is owned by the Mexican gov't, which derives 1/3 of it's revenues from profits and taxes. They are in the process of building 2 new refineries because refining costs in the US are almost triple that of PEMEX owned facilities. So yes, truckers load up in Mexico on diesel made here, but PEMEX has no competition and is as corrupt as any Mexican institution.

Don't talk to me about Venezuela. Cheap fuel is the only benefit those people see from the billions pulled in by Chavez and his cronies from fuel and oil sales. I wouldn't give up my rights as a human being for cheap fuel.