View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
His conclusion is the same point I made in another thread, Moore's Law isn't enough to bridge the mesoscale gap.

Have you looked into OpenVDB?
Quote:
OpenVDB is an open source software library for working with sparse volumetric data. It provides a hierarchical data structure and related functions to help with calculating volumetric effects in CGI applications. Volumetric effects apply to volumes, as opposed to just on surfaces. An example is fog.

Specifically catering for feature film production, the library was originally developed by DreamWorks Animation and is currently maintained by the Academy Software Foundation (ASWF). The primary authors are Ken Museth, Peter Cucka, Mihai Aldén and David Hill. OpenVDB is written in C++ and has Python bindings.

OpenVDB is supported in a wide range of CGI software, such as Blender (since April 2016), Cinema 4D, Houdini and RenderMan. It was used in the films Puss in Boots (2011) and Rise of the Guardians (2012).
"sparse volumetric data... a hierarchical data structure and related functions" It's brilliant under the hood a sparse, shallow inverted B-tree structure and each data point can carry attributes like pressure, temperature, momentum & etc.

Blender has OpenVDB and a physics engine. I struggle with just the modeling, but all the animation rigging, rendering and video compositing needed are in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
How to Import and Shade OpenVDB Simulations in Blender ...
https://www.blendernation.com/2020/1...ns-in-blender/
OpenVDB is a file format to store volumetric data like fire and smoke, clouds or water simulations. In this video I demonstrate how to use them in Blender by importing and shading an explosion. The file used in the video can be downloaded for free, if you want to follow along.
....meanwhile, I'm needing to figure out how to update Blender from 2.79 to 2.91 on my ARM system. I figured out the array modifier — you have to rotate an empty (obviously )