View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
I'm too dumb to do pictures, but I can say they are not very large at all and certainly do not stick out from the side of the car. I doubt very much you would notice them if you weren't looking specifically for them. In fact, the first time I noticed my car had them was when I read some forum guy was looking for a replacement, since one of his had fallen off his Mazda3. They're only about the width of the tire, and they appear to be positioned to displace that tiny bit of air before it hits the tread.
I also have a terrible time posting photos. I’m not sure why that is so difficult to do on Ecomodder. Without a photo of yours Meteor, I believe we are talking about the same thing which many have called “spats” on this site.

From a different thread, I just learned that we may be using the term “spats” incorrectly going as far back as 2010. The correct term should be “tire “deflectors” so for myself I will drop the term “spats” going forward.

There is a component of lift as the front of the tire is exposed the oncoming air and is forced out to the sides. The mini air dam or “spat” in front of the tire should divert some of the air around the tire more smoothly. Some have suggested that car manufacturers may use them to cut down on noise as well.

I will try to find a link to a photo in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 01-12-2021 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Clarification of terms