View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #41 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You may read all the listed papers and find out for yourself what they knew.
You may re-read my remarks. Obviously you never have, or you wouldn't be making the asinine remarks that you are.
Normal Aerohead response. Didn't respond to any point in my post. Aerohead's knowledge of engine management is clearly poor - not a good foundation on which to make criticisms of the throttle stop method.

Engine management is an interesting topic.

I first started writing articles about it (for electronics magazines, not car magazines) back in about 1990, and I have written about each major development in the technology ever since.

My 2000 book '21st Century Performance' had a major chapter on engine management.

I've interviewed dozens of engine management experts (including car company calibration engineers) and spent hundreds of hours sitting in cars on dynos as they've been tuned in aftermarket workshops.

I installed and then mapped the MoTeC engine management system in my turbo Gen 1 Insight from scratch (not even having a start tuning map). I have since spent hundreds of hours tuning the system so that the car drives (including in my custom lean cruise mode) far better than a standard Insight.

A few years ago I got a home dyno and re-did some of the mapping in that environment - not so much for improved driveability but for power (high rpm, full load) and ultra light load economy (primarily ignition timing).

In 2018 I wrote the book Car Electrical and Electronic Systems that covers everything from the simplest circuits to torque-request Bosch ME-Motronic engine management. It was translated into Korean last year - my first book to be translated into another language.

In 2018 I also wrote Modifying the Electronics of Modern Classic Cars (cars of the 1990s and 2000s) that covers topics such as programmable engine management, engine management interceptors and so on.

Engine management is very much like aerodynamics: once you get the basics clear in your mind, even complex systems are readily understandable. But if you start with unclear and confused concepts, it very soon becomes obvious you don't have much idea of what you're talking about.

Incidentally, Car Electrical and Electronic Systems is selling much better than my aerodynamics books (although I wished they all sold about ten times the number they do!).

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-15-2021)