Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You may read all the listed papers and find out for yourself what they knew.
You may re-read my remarks. Obviously you never have, or you wouldn't be making the asinine remarks that you are.
Normal Aerohead response. Didn't respond to any point in my post. Aerohead's knowledge of engine management is clearly poor - not a good foundation on which to make criticisms of the throttle stop method.

Engine management is an interesting topic.

I first started writing articles about it (for electronics magazines, not car magazines) back in about 1990, and I have written about each major development in the technology ever since.

My 2000 book '21st Century Performance' had a major chapter on engine management.

I've interviewed dozens of engine management experts (including car company calibration engineers) and spent hundreds of hours sitting in cars on dynos as they've been tuned in aftermarket workshops.

I installed and then mapped the MoTeC engine management system in my turbo Gen 1 Insight from scratch (not even having a start tuning map). I have since spent hundreds of hours tuning the system so that the car drives (including in my custom lean cruise mode) far better than a standard Insight.

A few years ago I got a home dyno and re-did some of the mapping in that environment - not so much for improved driveability but for power (high rpm, full load) and ultra light load economy (primarily ignition timing).

In 2018 I wrote the book Car Electrical and Electronic Systems that covers everything from the simplest circuits to torque-request Bosch ME-Motronic engine management. It was translated into Korean last year - my first book to be translated into another language.

In 2018 I also wrote Modifying the Electronics of Modern Classic Cars (cars of the 1990s and 2000s) that covers topics such as programmable engine management, engine management interceptors and so on.

Engine management is very much like aerodynamics: once you get the basics clear in your mind, even complex systems are readily understandable. But if you start with unclear and confused concepts, it very soon becomes obvious you don't have much idea of what you're talking about.

Incidentally, Car Electrical and Electronic Systems is selling much better than my aerodynamics books (although I wished they all sold about ten times the number they do!).

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-15-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Normal Aerohead response. Didn't respond to any point in my post. Aerohead's knowledge of engine management is clearly poor - not a good foundation on which to make criticisms of the throttle stop method.

Engine management is an interesting topic.

I first started writing articles about it (for electronics magazines, not car magazines) back in about 1990, and I have written about each major development in the technology ever since.

My 2000 book '21st Century Performance' had a major chapter on engine management.

I've interviewed dozens of engine management experts (including car company calibration engineers) and spent hundreds of hours sitting in cars on dynos as they've been tuned in aftermarket workshops.

I installed and then mapped the MoTeC engine management system in my turbo Gen 1 Insight from scratch (not even having a start tuning map). I have since spent hundreds of hours tuning the system so that the car drives (including in my custom lean cruise mode) far better than a standard Insight.

A few years ago I got a home dyno and re-did some of the mapping in that environment - not so much for improved driveability but for power (high rpm, full load) and ultra light load economy (primarily ignition timing).

In 2018 I wrote the book Car Electrical and Electronic Systems that covers everything from the simplest circuits to torque-request Bosch ME-Motronic engine management. It was translated into Korean last year - my first book to be translated into another language.

In 2018 I also wrote Modifying the Electronics of Modern Classic Cars (cars of the 1990s and 2000s) that covers topics such as programmable engine management, engine management interceptors and so on.

Engine management is very much like aerodynamics: once you get the basics clear in your mind, even complex systems are readily understandable. But if you start with unclear and confused concepts, it very soon becomes obvious you don't have much idea of what you're talking about.

Incidentally, Car Electrical and Electronic Systems is selling much better than my aerodynamics books (although I wished they all sold about ten times the number they do!).
And after all that, you can't master reading comprehension, go on the attack for the lack of comprehension, then switch blame to the messenger, who provided the incomprehensible bona fides along with all the appropriate context. A continuing pattern.
And perhaps all, just to use EcoModder.com for self-aggrandizement, as a free, global advertising platform for which to sell books, at MetroMPG's expense.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:20 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
And after all that, you can't master reading comprehension, go on the attack for the lack of comprehension, then switch blame to the messenger, who provided the incomprehensible bona fides along with all the appropriate context. A continuing pattern.
And perhaps all, just to use EcoModder.com for self-aggrandizement, as a free, global advertising platform for which to sell books, at MetroMPG's expense.
Mmmm.

I have this odd theory that it's always good to assess the depth of knowledge of the person making the post, in the area of knowledge in which they are posting.

Aerohead's knowledge of engine management is clearly poor - not a good foundation on which to make criticisms of the throttle stop method.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:15 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Uhhh is this why Julian got banned? Lol
Old 05-16-2022, 04:00 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
This conflict, but not this thread.

See: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...you-39592.html
Old 05-16-2022, 11:07 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
This conflict, but not this thread.

See: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...you-39592.html
Oh. Lol geez dude had the nerve to insult the USA while living in Australia, the place literally putting people into concentration camps 😂😂😂😂
Old 05-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
USA have citizens, Australia have denizens. They have no responsibility.

Mr. Edgar was posting 2 to 3 times a month on Youtube. Nothing in the last three months.

One hopes he hasn't choked on his bile.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:23 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
USA have citizens, Australia have denizens. They have no responsibility.

Mr. Edgar was posting 2 to 3 times a month on Youtube. Nothing in the last three months.

One hopes he hasn't choked on his bile.
Yeah he just vanished. Very weird. Even in YouTube comments I asked him about improving the Ioniq and he said “ it’s already low drag. Would be hard to do mods to something so low but it’s possible. Buy my book if you want more info”. Dude kept plugging his book nonstop. Not gonna work. I’m a millennial. We don’t “ buy books”. Might as well try selling a boom box or hand crank radio to a gen z person in high school right now. No offense to the boomers on here though

A lot of his video info is still education though. So can’t downplay explaining aerodynamics and pressures and mods and testing and all that in his free videos.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 02:39 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
One needn't be a Millennial. Kevin Kelly is in my age cohort.

"• Buy used books. They have the same words as the new ones. Also libraries." -- Kevin Kelly
kk.org/thetechnium/103-bits-of-advice-i-wish-i-had-known/

Old 05-16-2022, 05:38 PM   #50 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
We don't have the attention span for books because the algorithms have perfected stealing it away. It's not books specifically we're uninterested in, just anything with a duration exceeding 2 minutes or 280 characters.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread