View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #51 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
EcoModder history / back story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Thanks for doing this. I'm pretty sure ecomodder was known by another name way-back-when, can someone confirm the history for me? Wow - where does the time go?!

The path to EcoModder started in 2005 (busy year):

April, 2005: I pulled the trigger and bought my first Metro (1998 Pontiac Firefly), a car that had long fascinated me for its high MPG ratings. I immediately started tinkering with it to improve MPG.

June, 2005: EV World published an article about Phil's aero-modded Toyota pickup (original link is now dead). That article opened my eyes to the big MPG gains that could be found through aerodynamics/streamlining.

August 2005: The MaxMPG Yahoo Group was launched as a direct result of the very long comment thread beneath the EV World article. (It was EV World's most commented-on article.) Many of the article commenters joined the group. I didn't start MaxMPG, but I moderated it for a few years.

September, 2005: I launched MetroMPG.com to document the mods I was doing to my Firefly.

September, 2005: GasSavers.org forum coincidentally launched later the same month by Matt & Ben (SVOboy). By early '06 I had discovered & joined there, meeting Tim (Daox) and a bunch of other familiar members. I eventually became a moderator there too.

Fall 2007: Matt had lost interest in running GasSavers, so some of us moderators had negotiated to officially take it over. Unfortunately, at the last minute Matt had a change of heart, so we left and started EcoModder. Most of our earliest members came over from MaxMPG and GasSavers.

The rest is history!

Epilogue:

The MaxMPG group petered out and was eventually killed when Yahoo ended Groups.

GasSavers ended up turning into a bit of a Unicorn Corral, and ultimately kind of petered out. Fuelly eventually acquired the site from Matt and tried to re-animate the community into their site/app.

(Here's a slightly more detailed version of the above backstory.)

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (01-27-2021), Ecky (01-20-2021), freebeard (01-20-2021), RedDevil (01-21-2021)