View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #208 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
Sorry but I have NOT read anything like these statements ANY WHERE, so please can you provide proof of these claims.

They seem even more fantastical than mine...

"In a modern vehicle (such as the one I drive) more than 99% of fuel is combusted before the end of the power stroke. The best modern production engines reach about 41% efficient (from Toyota and Honda) and even some of GM's big V8s approach 35% in their peak BSFC island."

Such engines should be able to get 100+ MPG and would not need a cooling system.

Your notes of a 100% efferent engine I do not have any problem vapor does not claim such, only a reduction to 30% in fuel usage and if it can do the same work it did with the old fuel system with only 30% then a great improvement is MPG would be very possible.

Even then the vapor engine will have hear just not exhaust heat in the thousands of degrees now common, and the cooling system will be lightly used and car heaters might need improvements to give off heat with out 200 degree water.

Your super engine should run off one tenth of fuel in fact off a persons breath...

Rich
Here's a BSFC chart from Honda for my 20 year old car:

There are 3217 grams of gasoline in a gallon, and 116,090 BTUs in a gallon of gasoline (typically).

1kwh = 3412 BTUs.

215g/kwh from the chart means we need 6.68% of a gallon of gasoline to produce 3412 BTUs of usable energy, which is 2.94% of the energy in a gallon of gasoline.

0.0294 gallons of gasoline / 0.0668% of the energy in a gallon of gasoline = 44% thermal efficiency

I'm guessing Honda used slightly different figures for the energy content of gasoline because 44% seems a bit high. Regardless, you can read this paper from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory for some more details:

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy01osti/31085.pdf

They achieved 89.9mpg on the EPA's HWFET test. Personally, I've seen much better than that:

100.1mpg over 104.4 miles on level ground - and the gauge is within 1% accurate of pump figures.

As for waste heat, there's still plenty. Insights have fairly small radiators, but the heat still cranks in these cars in winter. It warms up even in subzero weather. There's no getting around waste heat with internal combustion engines, it's just the nature of the beast.

~

Regarding more modern engines, you can read Toyota's published figures on the engines that go in the Tacoma, Camry and Corolla:

https://global.toyota/en/mobility/tn...0respectively*.

Quote:
Toyota's new Dynamic Force Engine adopts high-speed combustion technologies and a variable control system. It also achieves greater thermal efficiency, resulting in high output, due to a reduction in energy loss associated with exhaust and cooling systems, the movement of mechanical parts, and other aspects. As a result, the newly developed 2.0-liter gasoline vehicle and hybrid vehicle engines achieve world-leading thermal efficiencies of 40 percent and 41 percent respectively*. In addition, compared to existing engines, the new engines achieve increased torque at all engine speeds―from low to high rotations―and will comply with expected future exhaust regulations in each country in advance.