View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
If I was you I would do the egr delete kit. Thats the number one killer with those engines. Efficiency will go down a bit but not much. Or since its a VW I assume the carbon cleaning is basically scheduled maintenance on those cars since its so common. :P
The early TDIs were known to suffer from carbon buildup in the intake but much of that happened before low sulphur diesel was available in the US. EGR contributed to carbon buildup so people removed the EGR circuit and replaced it with a straight pipe. This also affects engine heating from cold starts. My buddy did this to his TDI and his biggest complaint is how long it takes to get heat into the cabin.

The EGR cooler helps get some heat into the coolant loop so I did not want to remove mine. I did load a tune that allows EGR when the engine is cold to help the engine warm up more quickly but does not add EGR when the engine is up to temperature. FWIW my car is 16 years old with 110,000 miles and I have not needed to do a carbon cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
The Following User Says Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
ssullivan (05-19-2021)