View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
WMO/WVO/Used Trans/Hydraulic fluid to Black Diesel talk

This idea/concept I've been looking into more lately. I remember a ton of talk about WVO (waste vegi oil) around the 90's and early 2000's but never owned a diesel myself. I was also in school back then lol. Anyway, I'm looking to run it in a 7.3L power stroke (direct injection/HEUI system). I have to find a source yet for the oil but I suspect I'll be able to find some business willing to get rid of atleast a sample like 55gal to test with. Not sure what the best route to asking a shop about this, clearly need to talk to the manager/owner of the place.

Anyway, there's a million people saying slightly different things about this stuff. The basics of how I understand the process is something along these lines.

Raw motor oil hopefully free from gear lube or trans/hydraulic fluid
Course filter to get anything large out (old jeans etc works)
Centrifuge filter the oil (some suggest heating to 160-200f to drive out suspended water) - ideally multi passes with low flow rates to get the best results
mix with pump diesel, #1 diesel, or reg gasoline to thin it out
filter to min 5 micron (1 or 0.5 is prob best for my vehicle due to the direct injection system)

* Can't mix WMO with WVO/Biodiesel

I've read a couple mentions that the power strokes should have a special tune for WMO, I think they mentioned it advances the timing a little. I guess the WMO generally burns longer than standard diesel (and more BTU's).

I've seen people mention better MPG as well and some say they get worse. I suspect with the correct mix for the given engine and such it should give better assuming it's burning well and the fact it contains more energy.

Anyway, is there anything I'm missing? Advice or personal experience would be great. I know the IDI engines are a lot more common for this type of setup but I've seen quite a few people say they've had good success with the PDS at around 80-90% WMO and the rest reg gasoline (some mention 100% WMO in the summer).

I always liked the idea of the open options for diesel engines and all of the alt fuels they can burn. Of how I understand it, WVO has a bit more of an involved process and I think most people process it into biodiesel any more. Back in the late 90's-early 2000's I remember seeing a guy with a VW diesel running WVO directly by preheating it around the exhaust and starting/stopping on diesel.

For prep work on the truck, it sounds like it's generally a good idea to heat the fuel up before the filter. I saw one suggestion of wrapping a flexible fuel line around the upper radiator hose to make a makeshift heat exchanger and it seems like a pretty simple, cheap, and low risk of mixing fluids even if it's not the most efficient exchanger out there.

On a side note, I also have a wood stove and my primary heat for the house is wood (ash hard wood). I suspect if I get a solid source for WMO, I'll probably be under some sort of contract (or verbal agreement) to pickup their waste every so often and I have to deal with storage etc and hope I don't get more than I can use.

I've seen some simple ideas on converting wood stoves or pellet stoves to burn oil, basically an oil drip system and if I remember right a fan to give plenty of air. My wood stove has an ash clean out on the bottom and the air comes from the bottom. Grates and such are removable so seems like it would be fairly easy to convert with out modifying the actual wood stove. There's no cat or anything special about it, just an air jacket so I can move the heat via forced air and it has a water heating loop in it that I'm not currently using.

I also have propane as a backup heat source, I try to keep the wood stove going well enough so the thermostat doesn't kick on the propane unless I'm not home and the fire goes out. I'm not planning to burn oil while not home, I want to monitor it.

Oh, long ago I've heard running a little gas in a diesel makes it burn the fuel better, the WMO mixture seems to kind of line up for that. I wonder if anyone has had any solid experience with something like that? I know propane works really well to help burn the diesel up more completely, or nitrus if you're racing WOT.

It's probably worth a mention my truck has no EGR or any emission things that I'm aware of. The exhaust brake is disabled. There's also no inspections or emission testing required in my state. Of course I can't be creating a massive smoke cloud and causing issues for other drivers.