View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
I have a spare engine that runs great (good injectors), and I've changed half the glow plugs in my engine already, the injectors are right there next to them. The other half I have to do yet, but that's because of a shipping mistake by autozone. Everyone said to buy them from there and, I didn't check to see if other companies sold the right glow plugs - Motorcraft/Beru ZD11.

Injectors aren't the hard job, it's the injector cups that's more involved plus the requirement of special tools.

Just about every bad story I read about the power strokes has been a person doing something very clearly wrong. Like filtering used oil through some old shirts and calling it filtered and running it and 100 miles later their filter is plugged or worse the injectors are plugged.

I've read the power strokes actually start quite well on WMO compared to IDI.

Either way, I do want to hear the good and the bad. I'm aware that most people say the injectors will have a faster wear rate and the fuel pump will be working a lot harder than normal. Besides that there's potential carbon build up and having to change the fuel filter more often and maybe oil more often (blow by).

The biggest problem about the power stroke is also their benefit, the HEUI system. Sticking injectors is a concern too, but I suspect that would be caused more on the engine oil side instead of the fuel side.

The parts truck I have I paid for a few parts that I used and the spare set of axles so the truck doesn't really owe me anything so the injectors/engine is effectively free to me, just the risk of labor if things go south.

The rear most valve cover bolt is the most pain part about getting in the valve covers, since I know a trick to getting it out now, it's not too bad.

Anyway personally, probably going to avoid the waste vegetable oil since I don't know enough about the process and the requirements to run it in a somewhat modern diesel.

I'm sure a 6.0L, 6.4L or 6.7L is by far worse to run WMO/WVO in than the old 7.3L PSD, no regen to deal with, egr valve, etc. Of course the PSD is next in line after them for Ford stuff and next tick older is the IDI engines that are known to work fine so the only major concern I'm aware of is the injectors and fuel pump and the mix I mentioned above has been what people found to work in them.

Anyway, I'd love to hear direct experience with running these oils in a PSD, I'm guessing not many here have done it though.

Best I can find is random videos like this, the comments have a few people saying they run the stuff in their truck. The oil in the vid looks terrible though, I'd dare to say it's not properly filtered or something, very black looking vs what I've seen processed in other vids.

Here's an example of someone that's having issues and 100% isn't doing things right.

This is more of the setup I'm thinking. I've read these kinds of filters work down to around 0.5 micron. After that I'd still run it through an actual filter to be 100% sure but it should rarely plug up. I'm also thinking of a circulating system to run multi passes through the CF.

There's also the option of distilling diesel grade fuel from WMO but that takes a bit more science know how to properly build.