View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
whitevette
EcoModding Apprentice

HHO ? HOH ? HaHaHa ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmacgyver View Post
I,ve just assembled a 12 v hydrogen generator with just over 1,700 sq in. of plate surface. It sits in a 20 gal drum and my 1st test was incredible. I'm using 8 plates, each 12 x 18 in, with alternating polarity and 3/8 in separation between plates. My problem is I am drawing way too much current, as the cables heated up fairly rapidly. (I went straight from the car battery) I used baking soda as a catalyst (I used a whole box) which performed quite well. I'm looking for recomendations such as should I lower the baking soda content to inhibit the flow of electrons in the water, or would I be better off with a current limiting device? Or maybe I just went way too far with the amount of plate surface? I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this before.
As an inquisitive person who "looked into" the practically of this ( and others) type of "improvement" in MPG of the Otto engine... let me say this :

Gasoline has much more caloric power than hydrogen. What this means is ... by mixing hydrogen and gasoline, you effectively dilute the power potential for the ingested charge ; ie, less of a "bang" , and the "bang" is different - creating a leaner - than- gasoline-only burn. This spells hotter.

Sure. the HHO gas "pops" when a flame is combined with the effluent gas
( from electrolysis). So? Lots of gases "pop"! Your oxyacetlene torch will "pop" real well...but so?

I had made a super hydrolysis unit from various too-large parts & pieces - to use as a bench study rig. Applying switchable power to the electrodes, I made lots of "gas" on my porch steps - and it went "bang" when lit! Great! But...lots of things go "bang". The trouble is...they "bang" ( or "pop" ) differently! Lots differently!

Imagine, For instance, an entire Hindenburg attached to your carb or fuel injection duct. As you go down that imaginary road, you can feed in whatever amount of hydrogen gas to wish...to mix with your gasoline / air charge.As you increase the hydrogen flow to the engine, you won't get far...your exhaust valves will be bright red, your aluminum pistons will begin to melt...as your OVER-ALL A/F ratio turns lean. AND...your MPG will drop before your engine dies.

"Pop" takes on a different flavor, yes? P.T. Barnham said it best....
( The Eschers are nice, though.... I laughed at the "bang" video, too!)