Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Brown Bus - '98 GMC Sonoma X-Cab SLS
90 day: 31.37 mpg (US)
I've got some fish oil I'll sell. It works as a catalyst and also alters the speed of sound in the combustion chamber, effectively altering the flame speed and improving the leverage ratio of the piston/rod/crank system. It'll help with your current problems.

Really, so HHO improves the quality of combustion? What is so bad about the combustion process as is?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmyster View Post
I've got some fish oil I'll sell. It works as a catalyst and also alters the speed of sound in the combustion chamber, effectively altering the flame speed and improving the leverage ratio of the piston/rod/crank system. It'll help with your current problems.

Really, so HHO improves the quality of combustion? What is so bad about the combustion process as is?
Hmm as far as I know HHO has no significant effect on the quality of combustion in terms of mileage (perhaps the ability to combust in very lean high compression conditions) and has no effect on energy content in of itself either.

You seem to be the one falling for the BS explanations of hydroxy by asking me to provide a BS explanation.

You still haven't answered my previous question do you think leaning a engine results in different fuel mileage or does it have no effect?

Don't you see by making your foolish comments that anyone can see is FALSE by simply looking at their neighbors car, or guy down the street you ENCOURAGE people to believe made up made up REASONS like environmental energy, Steven Meyers circuits and other BS. The truth is many folks can make an HHO circuit without a dime going to anyone, that improves mileage but because you and others like you are too damn lazy to state the consequences of lean run, KOH in the intake, etc you leave folks who don't know better to put a potentially disastrouse system on their car without knowing risks. Or just as bad install a system assuming guaranteed results without having to do the work of leaning.

I have a feeling you and I are not too terribly far apart, I am very skeptacle of most everything, probably more so than you as is obvious by most of your posts, only difference between us is that I have driven, witnessed and used vehicles that were modded quite well with the works, scanguage, sensors, HHO, acetone, resistor on the map, etc. (they were free conversions by the way, as are most good conversions)

I still do not believe HHO is for many people, only hobbiests and I also strongly disagree with the marketing of HHO as a save all that it is not and giving odd explanations of it along with misleading results, while not listing the all the intensive modifications that usually need to be done.

If you would quit flaming and just give the true facts and warnings THAT ACTUALLY APPLY to the systems you might find the folks in the HHO discussions actually listen to you as opposed to figure you are some sort of nut job and ignore you.

I am curious if you have every tried to lean an engine of any size?

My personal experience with leaning (prior to HHO) was that it ran like crap and usually wouldn't idle.
Acetone and HHO / hydroxy whatever you want to call it are flammable in very very small quantities when under heat and compression they tend to smooth out the motor when run lean and you can actually get the thing to idle without stalling when they are present. Lean run is the name of the game and has always been for decades, mileage goes up, pumping losses down, but at the cost of possibly welding your engine they usually aren't worth the risk. The superheated fuel schemes are also along these lines as were the old spiral carburators.

Anyway, Eventually you will get wore down, I am not going anywhere and generally will badmouth any commercial HHO system that gets posted, you might find me on the same side as you some day.

I also have a feeling you aren't convincing anyone who isn't already convinced because of how you state your responses. By ignoring the real issue you can keep your responses boxed in and in fact some of your previous statements go against research done by those in what you would consider part of the legit hydrogen field. Sadly those that are in the universities generally DO NOT cooperate between each other and the spread of information from them is very slow and generally not open source. If you look there are already foreign countries considering legislating HHO systems on larger diesels to reduce emissions. Obviously there is something to this whether you agree with the explanations or not.

Hopefully someday you get forced into a situation where you encounter things you really don't expect or believe in within your own life. Somethings I have violently opposed I have ended up seeing work, HHO/leaning systems being one of them. While you are waiting for the federal government to force you to put one on your car, I and a few others will probably be using the units with some actually being sucessfull at it.

Good Luck
Ryan
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Brown Bus - '98 GMC Sonoma X-Cab SLS
90 day: 31.37 mpg (US)
So what is the real issue? A "technology" that has been around for 30 years and keeps getting picked up based on the price of fuel. Sure, if you can run lean and get the same amount of energy out, you're set. However, either:

1) You're making up the difference with additional combustible fuel. In which case, the arguement is the "additional fuel" arguement.
2) You're citing the old SAE paper where they used LOTS of hydrogen, enough to modify combustion stoichiometry.

In the case of (1), that's an easy myth to bust. In the case of (2), where leaning is better, then great. But guys with PVC in their trunk aren't making enough Hydrogen relative to other intake needs of their ICE. They're just not.

To top it off, seems like the vast majority of guys with fishtanks in their backseats aren't doing anything to lean, or otherwise modify their mixtures.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
This has been posted to other forums but I think that this is where it belongs most.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterfal1139344093.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1745  
Old 09-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
METROANNOSAURUS REX

The Mach .05 - '98 Chevy Metro LSi
90 day: 48.88 mpg (US)

Ah, M.C. Escher my favorite artist! He did amazing work!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
METROANNOSAURUS REX

The Mach .05 - '98 Chevy Metro LSi
90 day: 48.88 mpg (US)
Wait wasn't this thread about HHO?....

well here's what not to do! (never test the production directly out of the unit! DoH! IT CAN EXPLODE!)

Old 09-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

HHO ? HOH ? HaHaHa ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmacgyver View Post
I,ve just assembled a 12 v hydrogen generator with just over 1,700 sq in. of plate surface. It sits in a 20 gal drum and my 1st test was incredible. I'm using 8 plates, each 12 x 18 in, with alternating polarity and 3/8 in separation between plates. My problem is I am drawing way too much current, as the cables heated up fairly rapidly. (I went straight from the car battery) I used baking soda as a catalyst (I used a whole box) which performed quite well. I'm looking for recomendations such as should I lower the baking soda content to inhibit the flow of electrons in the water, or would I be better off with a current limiting device? Or maybe I just went way too far with the amount of plate surface? I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this before.
As an inquisitive person who "looked into" the practically of this ( and others) type of "improvement" in MPG of the Otto engine... let me say this :

Gasoline has much more caloric power than hydrogen. What this means is ... by mixing hydrogen and gasoline, you effectively dilute the power potential for the ingested charge ; ie, less of a "bang" , and the "bang" is different - creating a leaner - than- gasoline-only burn. This spells hotter.

Sure. the HHO gas "pops" when a flame is combined with the effluent gas
( from electrolysis). So? Lots of gases "pop"! Your oxyacetlene torch will "pop" real well...but so?

I had made a super hydrolysis unit from various too-large parts & pieces - to use as a bench study rig. Applying switchable power to the electrodes, I made lots of "gas" on my porch steps - and it went "bang" when lit! Great! But...lots of things go "bang". The trouble is...they "bang" ( or "pop" ) differently! Lots differently!

Imagine, For instance, an entire Hindenburg attached to your carb or fuel injection duct. As you go down that imaginary road, you can feed in whatever amount of hydrogen gas to wish...to mix with your gasoline / air charge.As you increase the hydrogen flow to the engine, you won't get far...your exhaust valves will be bright red, your aluminum pistons will begin to melt...as your OVER-ALL A/F ratio turns lean. AND...your MPG will drop before your engine dies.

"Pop" takes on a different flavor, yes? P.T. Barnham said it best....
( The Eschers are nice, though.... I laughed at the "bang" video, too!)
Old 09-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

As a follow-up to my last post (above), let me just say there IS a way to improve gasoline combustion. All these "MPG improvers" ( I guess they're labeled "gas savers") which don't work ... except to lighten your wallet ... are going about the methodology all wrong! There is no "magic pill" or " super fluid" you can add to your gasoline for greater MPG.!

But, not believeing something cannot be changed for the better, I kept
looking / trying. Down this long road, I finally found a technique which worked! A little twisting, and the beast got better! I STILL haven't found the ceiling to this mod...but it works remarkably well. Stay tuned while I check on posting ads for sale ( & all this stuff).
Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mr. Taco - '01 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)
To say that hydrogen doesn't improve your fuel efficiency, as well as emissions and overall engine life is...well....wrong.

It may not work on onboard HHO electrolysers but it most certainly will help if you have a supply of compressed Hydrogen.

The best part is......you can use virtually any fuel! That's right....Propane, CNG, Gas, old crappy gas, ethanol, methanol, diesel, etc. just by boosting it with hydrogen.

It also reduces emissions and is said to reduce heat and engine wear.

visit KP and look for roy mcalister's videos. They are awesome.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

A side note: an MIT lab has figured out how to get higher efficiency in generating hydrogen.

Daniel Nocera describes new process for storing solar energy
A “Giant Leap” For Clean Energy: Hydrogen Production Breakthrough from MIT : TreeHugger

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Reply  Post New Thread