View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

My 2 cents worth:

200MPH 0-60 in 1.9-seconds, 390-miles range, 1020-hp.?? Insane.

I have been driving for 59.5 years, and have only driven up to 120MPH once and have driven at 90 and 100MPH a few times on the long open roads between Phx AZ and LA CA on mind numbing road trips to make the trip still awake and not dropping out from white line fever. PS The speed limits were 75MPH…

On the open road I normally drive 10MPH over the limit and I love it, and would gladly run at 100 if I could, so I am NOT anti-speed….80/85MPH is my normal speeds…but I know the problems of driving at that speed and they are even worst at higher speed. My tires are speed rated for 135 to 150MPH so I can safely run on them at the speeds I do drive.

And considering higher rated tires will cost over $200/$300 plus each spending over $800/$1200 plus to safely drive at such high rates of speed perhaps once in say 5 years is not sensible to me.

I also have never owned a real hot rod, and saw no need to blow so much money for so little improvement in power and speed. While I applaud the research that speed and performance as done for modern cars much as has air craft and rockets to space and the moon has done for our everyday life, I do not need any such stuff personally.

I have never owned a car or van with more than 350 HP and that was mainly for the low RPM Torque.

My current car is a 2003 Ex-Cop Crown Vic with ONLY 250HP and it is more that fast enough for 95% of my needs and gets me where I want to really fast enough. I believe it can do 0 to 60 in about 8 seconds. It is more that I really need 95% of the time….

The Tesla super car is nice research toy but again I can see no real need for its power and speed.

I do suspect unlike a gas or diesel driven car there is no penalty for having such power, in other words running at street speeds does not cost in fuel and weight penalties as does in a gas driven car, where having a LARGE engine with such performance eats lots of fuel just because of the size and weight of it so in such cars with in all that power and speed has NOT translated in any real improvements in MPG.

I get a lot of fun with people still spending thousands of dollars hopping up nice good old cars like my Crown Vic…I tell them they will never catch a Tesla Model S, that is the fastest gun on the street so why bother??

Now it is even worst with 200MPH 0-60 in 1.9-seconds, 390-miles range, 1020-hp.

I am very happy with my Vic’s cost per smile, I have less than $2000.00 in her, as old gas driven cars can be bought cheap and then repaired and fixed up…and I can do the work myself. So she can barely get 28MPG, and a Tesla makes it look like I forgot there the go pedal is in any race…you cannot get anywhere close to my low cost per mile.

And for road trips I will use my 93 Star Craft custom Chevy van for its RV sleeping and comfort, plus cargo carrying and if I want can drive non-stop (only very short refueling stops, every 350 +MILES) thanks to running on gasoline. There are no electric RVs on the horizon with this performance. Oh and again I have less than $10000.00 in her over her 15 years of ownership and $4000.00 is in a special 383 Engine and drive line I am putting into her this year.

I do not think in my life time we will ever see a used Electric car, sell for under $4000.00 and then be repairable for less than $2000.00. As the Battery packs will always be to major cost of repairing such.

I can see almost no DYI repairs on such cars. They will truly become the appliance car of the future, buy and drive…Paint and wheel and tires about all you can do to them.

On the other hand I can VERY little if no repairs needed with such cars, tires and wiper blades the ONLY service needed.

SO IF I was rich, his and hers electric cars for city driving and gas or diesel driven RV for road trips.

Rich