Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Same thing?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-09-2021, 09:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Aerohead, where did you find pictures of the updated car ?
I'm seeing lots of artists' renderings online, but on Tesla.com the car doesn't look drastically different.

The main difference I see right away is an integrated splitter below the front bumper area, wheel curtains like the Model 3, and flared fenders.
Jan 28, 2021
https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/t...tesla-model-s/

Verses older look of 2015

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/17/8...-speed-model-s

Air curtain inlets on the front valance changed shape or maybe were not there in 2015.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 04:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
I will soon be able to finish my tests with regular model S with 195/55R20 tires. My estimated energy savings should be 15% up to 20% compared to regular tires they install to these Model S.

So there is a lot to improve if you dont need the under 2s acceleration times in your driving.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vekke For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-10-2021), MetroMPG (02-24-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
top speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Online calculators estimate 0-60 times of around 1.9 seconds for electric drive with 1000 hp and 5000 lb curb weight
But - assuming 25 sq ft frontal area, the ecomodder mpg estimator only requires 308 hp to reach 200 mph. It seems the top speed of the plaid+ should be much higher. This top speed to power calculator suggests 300 mph.
-mort
Yes, it's typical to have the power balance for acceleration, while intentionally limiting top speed below the drag-limited top speed.
Tire technology doesn't exist to allow actual terminal velocity to be achieved.
The Plaid, with the frontal area and weight of Cybertruck only requires 82.8-horsepower tractive energy to maintain a constant 130-mph. Bragging rights and halo cars come at great cost.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

zappy - '97 suzuki swift
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If the US DOT ever allows for synthetic vision, allowing the loss of side mirrors, cars like Model S will immediately fall to Cd 0.19, saving Giga-Watts each year.
so..... what's the best 'package' available off the shelf to place either two small cameras in place of mirrors, or one on top, and display in place of the interior rear view mirror?

If there is a reasonable kit available, I think my rear view mirrors may accidentally fall off. I'm willing to bet no cop would notice or ticket....
Old 02-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My 2 cents worth:

200MPH 0-60 in 1.9-seconds, 390-miles range, 1020-hp.?? Insane.

I have been driving for 59.5 years, and have only driven up to 120MPH once and have driven at 90 and 100MPH a few times on the long open roads between Phx AZ and LA CA on mind numbing road trips to make the trip still awake and not dropping out from white line fever. PS The speed limits were 75MPH…

On the open road I normally drive 10MPH over the limit and I love it, and would gladly run at 100 if I could, so I am NOT anti-speed….80/85MPH is my normal speeds…but I know the problems of driving at that speed and they are even worst at higher speed. My tires are speed rated for 135 to 150MPH so I can safely run on them at the speeds I do drive.

And considering higher rated tires will cost over $200/$300 plus each spending over $800/$1200 plus to safely drive at such high rates of speed perhaps once in say 5 years is not sensible to me.

I also have never owned a real hot rod, and saw no need to blow so much money for so little improvement in power and speed. While I applaud the research that speed and performance as done for modern cars much as has air craft and rockets to space and the moon has done for our everyday life, I do not need any such stuff personally.

I have never owned a car or van with more than 350 HP and that was mainly for the low RPM Torque.

My current car is a 2003 Ex-Cop Crown Vic with ONLY 250HP and it is more that fast enough for 95% of my needs and gets me where I want to really fast enough. I believe it can do 0 to 60 in about 8 seconds. It is more that I really need 95% of the time….

The Tesla super car is nice research toy but again I can see no real need for its power and speed.

I do suspect unlike a gas or diesel driven car there is no penalty for having such power, in other words running at street speeds does not cost in fuel and weight penalties as does in a gas driven car, where having a LARGE engine with such performance eats lots of fuel just because of the size and weight of it so in such cars with in all that power and speed has NOT translated in any real improvements in MPG.

I get a lot of fun with people still spending thousands of dollars hopping up nice good old cars like my Crown Vic…I tell them they will never catch a Tesla Model S, that is the fastest gun on the street so why bother??

Now it is even worst with 200MPH 0-60 in 1.9-seconds, 390-miles range, 1020-hp.

I am very happy with my Vic’s cost per smile, I have less than $2000.00 in her, as old gas driven cars can be bought cheap and then repaired and fixed up…and I can do the work myself. So she can barely get 28MPG, and a Tesla makes it look like I forgot there the go pedal is in any race…you cannot get anywhere close to my low cost per mile.

And for road trips I will use my 93 Star Craft custom Chevy van for its RV sleeping and comfort, plus cargo carrying and if I want can drive non-stop (only very short refueling stops, every 350 +MILES) thanks to running on gasoline. There are no electric RVs on the horizon with this performance. Oh and again I have less than $10000.00 in her over her 15 years of ownership and $4000.00 is in a special 383 Engine and drive line I am putting into her this year.

I do not think in my life time we will ever see a used Electric car, sell for under $4000.00 and then be repairable for less than $2000.00. As the Battery packs will always be to major cost of repairing such.

I can see almost no DYI repairs on such cars. They will truly become the appliance car of the future, buy and drive…Paint and wheel and tires about all you can do to them.

On the other hand I can VERY little if no repairs needed with such cars, tires and wiper blades the ONLY service needed.

SO IF I was rich, his and hers electric cars for city driving and gas or diesel driven RV for road trips.

Rich
Old 02-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

zappy - '97 suzuki swift
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
My 2 cents worth:

200MPH 0-60 in 1.9-seconds, 390-miles range, 1020-hp.?? Insane.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
I do not think in my life time we will ever see a used Electric car, sell for under $4000.00 and then be repairable for less than $2000.00. As the Battery packs will always be to major cost of repairing such.

I can see almost no DYI repairs on such cars.
Rich
There actually are the occasional DIY ev's for sale for under $5k, mostly with dead batteries... but DIY Lithium packs can generally be replaced for $5k-$7k depending on capacity, and the vehicle is basically ready for another 100k/10 years. check out 'for sale' forum at www.DIYelectriccar.com

battery pack replacement is not so much 'repair' as it is a consumable... you are just buying 10 years up front.

DIY conversions are by definition DIY repairable.

But, the new mfg EVs are pretty impossible as anything that will go wrong will require dealer-only computer equipment to diagnose and replace. There may be the occasional equipment failure (the mfg ones have some pretty elaborate HVAC for the cabin, motors, and battery packs), but hopefully done under warranty.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What happened to rebuilding the battery packs??

None the less I will wait until I am RICH to buy new and figure it will out live me.

Meanwhile I will stick with my 02 Ford Explorer, 03 Crown Vic, 93 Custom Van and wife's 2000 Toyota.

AS I can repair them MUCH cheaper that $5K to $7K.... Hell I can buy a whole newer car for that kind of money.

Rich
Old 02-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The new electric supercars have essential told the combustion gearheads its over. I see it on friend's facebook pages, memes. They know electric is faster and have now resorted to attacking back saying how bad batteries are for the environment, how pipeline jobs are lost, and how their vehicle "doesn't run on fairy dust and unicorn piss"

It's funny to watch.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sadly there is some truth to the carbon foot print point, it has been said by the time they are bought here the making of them is already equal to pollution of a gas car ran 100K.

Of course most of that is in other countries....

Here other that dirty power plants they run clean.

Rich

Reply  Post New Thread