View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #697 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
I don't know how I missed this topic, but damn this build is impressive.

I was skeptical of the Centurion's claimed MPG figures in the plans sold, but you've proven the concept. I suspect the CdA of the Centurion is similar to a Spitfire with the top up and the latter probably could get similar efficiency if set up with the same engine/tires. It is not unusual for the stock Spitfire to get around 40 mpg with its 4-cylinder gasoline engine.

I've been building an electric Triumph GT6. With aero body panels, the goal is 100 wh/mi @ 60 mph. The math says its possible, but I haven't had a chance to test that yet. I've always wondered what a GT6 or Spitfire modified to look like an ADU1B LeMans Spitfire with the appropriate aero to match(according to Jigsaw Racing, 111 brake horsepower to do 137 mph) would do with an inline 6-cylinder 3L turbodiesel engine from a Mercedes 300 SDL, with the injector pump tuned with wider threads to allow 300 horsepower. I think an 80+ MPG car that can rip off 11 second 1/4 mile drag races and top out at 200 mph is possible. It would require a lot of expen$ive modifications to make that possible and reliable.

This Centurion build of yours certainly exemplifies the efficiency of that little Kubota when placed in a chassis that is sufficiently low mass. I've read of a Honda CRX that used one that got around 90 MPG. I've so far read only the first 3 pages of this thread, but I intend to read all of it. Your results are phenomenal.
Toecutter,
I too was skeptical of Centurion data and that was one of the driving forces to build one. I am no longer feeling skeptical! Your GT6 project is definitely of interest! Being small and light it has potential - but there are space limitations as well. Your GT6 falls into the same category as the electric Centurion here that awaits battery technology to take one more leap. Is there a build thread on your GT6? If so I'd like to follow your adventures with it!!
-
~CrazyJerry~
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
elhigh (03-05-2021), MetroMPG (03-07-2021), RedDevil (03-05-2021)