View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 09:52 PM   #181 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
oil pan 4 -- It was a different world. Oregon had well-respected politicians like Wayne Morse (the Tiger of the Senate) and Tom McCall.

Then came a governor being cancelled and mail-in voting. Voila!

edit: OMG! The Tom McCall Wiki article covers the Vortex rock concert!

Quote:
The festival, nicknamed "The Governor's Pot Party" by Oregonians, was a success, attracting between 50,000 and 100,000 people. Gold, The Portland Zoo, Osceola, Fox, and Chrome Cyrcus were among the bands that played. The media announced that Santana, Jefferson Airplane, and the Grateful Dead were on the way, but none of them appeared. The feared violent clash between the antiwar groups and the conservative American Legion was avoided, and the city of Portland passed the summer relatively uneventfully. McCall was re-elected in November, with 56% of the vote.
This was back during Prohibition and he was reelected with 56%.

2nd edit:
That Wiki article keeps on giving: Tom_McCall#Later_life_and_death

Quote:
After McCall's final attempt at the governorship a group launched an initiative to repeal McCall's most lasting legacy, the state's land use planning system, which included urban growth boundaries. Measure 6 went on the ballot for the 1982 election and McCall vowed to fight it to the end. McCall was dying of cancer and used the final months of his life making sure that Measure 6 did not pass.

During his campaign against Measure 6 McCall said, "You all know I have terminal cancer—and I have a lot of it. But what you may not know is that stress induces its spread and induces its activity. Stress may even bring it on. Yet stress is the fuel of the activist. This activist loves Oregon more than he loves life. I know I can't have both very long. The trade-offs are all right with me. But if the legacy we helped give Oregon and which made it twinkle from afar—if it goes, then I guess I wouldn't want to live in Oregon anyhow."

Last edited by freebeard; 03-14-2021 at 10:07 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Snax (03-15-2021)