View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.26 mpg (US)
Sorry I haven't answered - I think you'd get good results with either the wheel covers or the fender skirts, but your best results would be to go the Full Monty and do both: the wheels will pull a lot of turbulent air into the wheelwell with them; having the covers and the skirts together reduces the tendency for the wheel to generate a big churning mass inside your closed-off wheelwell. As a first step, I'm guessing the wheel covers are your best bet, since they're completely removable with no alterations required for mounting. Moon Equipment has clip-ons for ~$65/4 (that's my size - your mileage may vary!)

Now that you've got the mirrors pulled in - extended, the truck looks like a basset hound in a stiff breeze, I know! - do they fold back? I'm never keen on doing this, but I can actually *hear* a difference in my little truck when I do it. I just miss having that rearward view. Anyone want to suggest what I do for mounting internal sideviews?

When I say "skirts," I mean a covering over the wheelwell, that blocks the tire from view. "MetroMPG" has good examples of this on his ride, "Blackfly."

Ford does a nice job of building sturdy trucks, but do they even realize that there's an atmosphere to shove through? I look at their trucks and imagine that they might not. It would explain a lot.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.