View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

Well I tell every hot rodder especially those hopping up VANs and Crown Vic's (I have had a couple) "Game OVER we are toast..."

The fastest gun on the road is a Tesla Model S! They beat SERIOUS Full on Drag racers with monster slicks, wheel bars, and monster full blown big engines in real drag races on real drag races.

NO street car can match them in pure take off power. Top speed yes they can be beat, but in a 1/4 mile they win about 90% of the time. So in a street race your toast...

There are a lot of problems about how much pollution, is made in the manufacture of these cars, and how dirty is the electric power is made to charge you car, but in YOUR hands these car can product NO pollution in being driven.

So as a short run city car they seem to be the last word. Charged over night they all now have enough range for driving to and from work, do shopping etc.

Now if they can clean up manufacture pollution and all power plants all will be great.

We just need more power supplies to handle the increasing loads on the grids and more UNIVERSAL charging stations: in Europe they mandated universal charging stations so any car can charge at any charging station, sadly the US has not so you can have an electric car and NOT be able to charge at a competing company charging station.

So yes I am very aware of electric cars.

BUT I say go all electric or all gas. The hybrids are a mess, three power systems none doing a good job and too many systems to service.

Also all electric cars are needing very little service.

BUT there is no system currently in place nor will be in the near in the future to allow people to travel long distance and recharge fast or in sadly many parts out in the country no recharging stations at all, (I live in the southwest) and a heavy Van will need large batteries and lots of charging.

I for one cannot wait the some 20 to 50 years for all of this to happen, I am 72.7 years old and want to fix my van so I can do trips within this year.

SO I am building a gas powered van, and I am doing all I can do to use as little gas I can, both to pollute less and spend less in fuel costs, but I am also willing to see horrible MPG climbing hills and so on. It has to be able to do the job of keeping up with traffic.

My 10 Cents worth.

Rich