Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dual over drives

My latest “Great Idea” Better MPG with super double Over Drives:

Was able to get an old US Gear Dual Range over drive (Org Doug Nash unit) at a good price.

I am looking for parts for this unit. And someone whom can work in it. It was not made to fit a TH400, I did not get the front adapter.

I need the input shaft for a TH400/4L80, and the 400 to US Gear adapter, and would also like the parking brake rear adapter.

I really wanted one of these as they seem to be nearly the best aftermarket Over Drive units.

I wanted it for my 93 Custom Chevy G20 Van to run behind my new rebuilt low RPM 383 both to lower the cruse RPMs and in my belief my special engine will give me better than the old stock 350’s 14MPG.

I was going to clob together an old Borg Warner over drive to run behind my van’s weak 4L60 both transmissions I feared that both might fail on a road trip and both I felt could NOT be used to tow anything. I was making plans on how to remove or replace either one on a road trip…not a good way to travel.

I am now putting in a 4L80E main transmission and want to run the US Gear overdrive which both I believe are so strong I will not fear any failure due to being weak, and now means I can tow, and do so in 3rd gear and with the US gear handling the overdrive.

The good thing is these are gear to gear, no lower minimum speed limits, and no problem backing up, (BW and GV) and no front oil pump, no cone clutch and no such weakness as those. (GV)

I am considering adapting the rear parking break to the US Gear over drive (they did make them too) so I can add rear disk brakes and not worry about their parking brakes.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
So it's a sunk cost. Did you get a good price? Consider:

www.hemmings.com/stories/article/columbia-two-speed-rears

Quote:
Normal operation of the overdrive unit involves getting the car up to speed in 3rd gear, then depressing the clutch pedal and pulling on the overdrive cable. After hearing a solid clunk (telling you the overdrive's been activated), you release the clutch and you're in overdrive. The second speed reduced the axles' original ratio, resulting in a 30% reduction in engine rpm. Although intended for highway speeds, you could engage the overdrive in 1st or 2nd as well; it actually worked in any forward gear.

Parts to repair these units are still available. D&W Enterprises is probably the largest source for parts; and we would like to thank Jim Webber from D&W for his help in researching this article. Vintage Auto Parts supplies replacement Columbia axles as well. Additional information on Columbia two-speeds is also available on the Internet at the Ford flathead Web site, flatheadv8.org -&nbspThis website is for sale! -&nbspflatheadv8 Resources and Information.
I drove an Intenational box van in the 1950s that had one of these, or something similar.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There are units you mount behind the current transmission.

Sadly the companies and links are no long any good.

Thanks.

Rich
Old 03-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The transmission tail-stock needs to be replaced with an electric motor.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Gladly when someone figures out how to get a Tesla broadcast power transmitter working.

Even then I bet there will be dead spots.

As one wise man(guy) said, it isn't the electric motors that are the problem its the damn batteries that is.

IF I had the money I would drive electric cars in town, BUT they DO NOT work on cross country road trips and until they do I will drive a gasoline power RV Van.

Rich
Old 03-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
As one wise man(guy) said, it isn't the electric motors that are the problem its the damn batteries that is.
If he's that wise, why can't he reconcile the tense. Batteries are.

Tesla's wireless power would play havoc with all the digital devices near it. The advantage of a serial ICE electric is that is can recoup fueled power with regen, and enable 110v AC convenience outlets.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If he's that wise, why can't he reconcile the tense. Batteries are.

Tesla's wireless power would play havoc with all the digital devices near it. The advantage of a serial ICE electric is that is can recoup fueled power with regen, and enable 110v AC convenience outlets.
Well all the other broadcast stuff is not causing any problems as they figured out how to block them.

Who said full broadcast power would not be done so it ONLY powered devices tuned to it?? ICE is a term for Internal Combustion Engines so how can it can recoup fueled power with regen, and enable 110v AC convenience outlets??

Rich
Old 03-18-2021, 04:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

FCC requires electronic devices to both accept and not emit interference as a part of a certification. That may be a hurdle for the development process.

I meant to say 'a serial ICE/electric'. An example would be GM eAssist. ecomodder.com/forum/.../controller-mods-build-e-assist-altermotor-35003. This is driven off the crankshaft with a serpentine belt, rather than after the transmission. Presumably that would have a planetary gear or clutch or something.

The eAssist uses a fairly modest battery, compared to a full EV, at 115V or so.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
With the perfect, ideal gear ratio only expect about +2 maybe +3 mpg highway.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well I tell every hot rodder especially those hopping up VANs and Crown Vic's (I have had a couple) "Game OVER we are toast..."

The fastest gun on the road is a Tesla Model S! They beat SERIOUS Full on Drag racers with monster slicks, wheel bars, and monster full blown big engines in real drag races on real drag races.

NO street car can match them in pure take off power. Top speed yes they can be beat, but in a 1/4 mile they win about 90% of the time. So in a street race your toast...

There are a lot of problems about how much pollution, is made in the manufacture of these cars, and how dirty is the electric power is made to charge you car, but in YOUR hands these car can product NO pollution in being driven.

So as a short run city car they seem to be the last word. Charged over night they all now have enough range for driving to and from work, do shopping etc.

Now if they can clean up manufacture pollution and all power plants all will be great.

We just need more power supplies to handle the increasing loads on the grids and more UNIVERSAL charging stations: in Europe they mandated universal charging stations so any car can charge at any charging station, sadly the US has not so you can have an electric car and NOT be able to charge at a competing company charging station.

So yes I am very aware of electric cars.

BUT I say go all electric or all gas. The hybrids are a mess, three power systems none doing a good job and too many systems to service.

Also all electric cars are needing very little service.

BUT there is no system currently in place nor will be in the near in the future to allow people to travel long distance and recharge fast or in sadly many parts out in the country no recharging stations at all, (I live in the southwest) and a heavy Van will need large batteries and lots of charging.

I for one cannot wait the some 20 to 50 years for all of this to happen, I am 72.7 years old and want to fix my van so I can do trips within this year.

SO I am building a gas powered van, and I am doing all I can do to use as little gas I can, both to pollute less and spend less in fuel costs, but I am also willing to see horrible MPG climbing hills and so on. It has to be able to do the job of keeping up with traffic.

My 10 Cents worth.

Rich

Reply  Post New Thread