View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #49 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
To be successful, start with a highly efficient platform like the Aperta or FUV.
If they ever make a 4 door, 4 or 5 seat Aptera, I'll be the first to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
Petrol isn't cheap everywhere. And PV was expensive, but price has fallen by ~95% since the paper linked to in post #1 was written. $0.25/W is not expensive!
The future price of ICE fuel is also uncertain. Of course, so is electricity. But if you can make your own fuel for free after the initial cost, why not? And if you can take you fuel production kitty along on your vehicle, why not?

I was still going off $1-$2 per W. But 25¢? Like I said before, there have been people who have dragged along a $2,000 to $5,000 ICE generator for their EV. Why would spending a few hundred on a few solar panels be such a bad idea in comparison, especially when you can get more W per dollar (or pound, euro, peso, yen, etc.)?

I think anyone who's a nay-sayer it's just being jealous that they live in a mostly cloudy area. Where I live it's mostly sunny. Sure, trading in for a plug-in something and putting solar panels on the house's roof with a battery bank sounds good, but costs a lot more money even if you own your own home. Plus you have a lot more efficiency losses.