View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 06:43 AM   #60 (permalink)
jakobnev
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
50 mpg @ $3.00 per gallon = $0.06 per mile
Hyundai says in perfect conditions you will get 808 miles of solar driving per year saving $48.48.

I would much rather have a solar roof than a useless moonroof which saves me zero dollars a day and will leak given time. It is conceivable that a solar roof could pay for itself in maybe 10 years in perfect conditions but more realistically 15 - 20 in typical conditions.
Now imagine living where gas is $9.00 per gallon. ($9.04 is the highest i have paid) Could grid-tie still compete? Could the stock market? (And it will get cheaper when people are no longer paying early-adopter prices)

Quote:
Any hybrid with sufficient capacity to have meaningful range added by PV would also offer a way to plug in, because that's trivial... and as I said, your PV would best be left stationary where you plug in there.
Sure there could be a plug on the car, but (and it's a big but) this is still being proposed to people who have nowhere to plug their car in. These people don't have anywhere they could leave a stationaty PV system, they would be forced to remove it, or it would be removed and they would be given the bill - for the removal.

I am suggesting panels, on the car, for people who are unable to can to plug the car into anything! I'm running out of ways to say that in English, NO CANNO THE INPLUGGO!

VITTU MÄ EN SAA PISTÄÄ MUN JOHTOA MINNEKKÄÄN!

如果您不从停车场上取下面板,我会收拾您的器官

Quote:
I guess we know something auto manufacturers don't, because there are practically no cars that offer meaningful range-adding PV, which is strong evidence that it's not time to revisit solar hybrids.
The manufacturers and me are aware of the same fact: That new car buyers are morons who don't think about what they would actually need and instead just copy what everyone else is doing.

Quote:
So every "100W" of PV power will save a guy about $15 of fuel a year (at $3/gal) in a 2nd Gen Prius in a place that's 75% sunny during that same year (assuming the cloudy days are spread evenly throughout the whole year). If you shop around you can get 100W for $20. So it would take a bit over a year to break even.
Imagine grid-tie or the stock market competing with that where it's $9/gal.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
The Following User Says Thank You to jakobnev For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (03-20-2021)