View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 12:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Purpose built race cars don't have ABS and stability control to brake individual corners as needed specifically designed to help novice drivers.

There is more to driving than going around corners. A car with rear axle bias has more braking power in a straight line.

Yes, learning to drive a RWD car properly is different than driving a FWD car properly. People used to know how to drive RWD cars because that is all we had. A few sessions in a snowing parking lot does wonders for learning how to control oversteer and even how to steer with the throttle. I learned to drive in RWD vehicles and I will take oversteer over understeer any day.
Let me put it this way. I do really appreciate you trying to convince me to consider a RWD vehicle. Maybe you'll eventually convince me and I'll have a cool looking electric VW some day.

It's just that my experience with them hasn't been the greatest. Those and AWD vehicles. Two of the worst oversteering vehicles I've had were an AWD Chevy Astro and a 4WD Dodge Durango (even in 4WD). I've driven lots of RWD vehicles and didn't have a problem. But put my wife in one glare ice and, well let's just say it didn't turn out that well. But she's never gotten stuck or slid off the road in a FWD ever.