View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 06:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
If you're willing to do cams, asymmetrical valve opening should have a noticeable impact on fuel economy at low RPM.

I'd argue pulling the balance shafts is a reasonable move too. It made my car fairly harsh on cold starts, but I also have solid poly engine mounts.

Any chance to get the EGR valve from the other Ecotec engines? If you're changing engine management, did the Cavalier variant have one?

Any chance of a top gear swap? That seems to make the largest difference.

EDIT: You could also K swap it. Even the "baby" economy K20 is 180hp with a tune.
(Cams)
I’m searching out a set of factory cams from specifically the 2003 Saturn L200. They’re rumored to be ever slightly better than any other cam that came in the L61.
(Balance shafts)
I’m planning to delete them by means of cutting them off right behind the sprocket (turning them into an idler) and pushing the rear support bearings back to cover the oil gallery hole
(EGR)
I’m not aware of any US variant of the engine using an EGR valve (though the passage appears to be present on the head)
(Gearing)
I’m already on what should be the most economical variant of the transmission that came behind these engines, the FY1 code F23 used in the Cobalt XFE. It has a .69 5th gear and a 3.63 final drive ratio. With my tire size it puts me right at 2000 RPM/60mph. If I found an extra ~$3k to put into the build I could swap to the F40 six speed transmission from the 03-07 Saab 9-3 Aero(or Viggen) which had a .64 sixth and a 3.54 final drive. In any event I would like to potentially add a limited slip unit even to my F23 to get some traction for the new engine, as it should be a little spicier than my current one and I already spin the inside tire powering out of tight first and second gear corners

While the K series is a great engine I’m an Ecotec fanboy at heart, though I have vaguely considered doing a 2.4L (LE5) short block (comes with complications that can be solved)

My last Ecotec project...