View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Purpose built race cars aren't built for novice drivers. They're built for professionals. Whether they have stability control or not depends on the rules off each particular race. That also aren't usually driven on snow and ice unless built for that.
The basics of driving dynamics are the same at any speed. Snow reduces grip and lowers the speed at which a car is on the edge of control. (One of the reasons that a snowy parking lot is an excellent training tool. Better to learn car control at 25 mph with nothing around to hit than at 55 mph on a windy mountain road or 180 mph at Le Mans)

This is another reason that snow tires are key. (You are driving in the winter with snow tires on all 4 wheels - right?)

Quote:
Braking in a straight line only works if you have a straight line to brake in. Usually you brake hard because there's an obstacle that your may need to swerve to avoid. Plus o lot of roads where I live are windy mountainous passes with tight switchbacks. It's kind of hard to brake in a straight line going around tight switchbacks.
The vast majority of driving is done it cities - maybe not where you live but in the USA in general. The most common place for collisions is intersections where someone pulls out in front of another driver and most drivers just hammer the brakes.

Quote:
Let me put it this way. I do really appreciate you trying to convince me to consider a RWD vehicle. Maybe you'll eventually convince me and I'll have a cool looking electric VW some day.
I don't need to convince you. I'm just happy that automakers are moving back to RWD and soon I'll be able to buy RWD family vehicles again. I've never liked FWD vehicle but I was forced into them if I wanted to buy a reasonably priced vehicle.

Quote:
It's just that my experience with them hasn't been the greatest. Those and AWD vehicles. Two of the worst oversteering vehicles I've had were an AWD Chevy Astro and a 4WD Dodge Durango (even in 4WD). I've driven lots of RWD vehicles and didn't have a problem. But put my wife in one glare ice and, well let's just say it didn't turn out that well. But she's never gotten stuck or slid off the road in a FWD ever.
My wife does fine with our 2WD Astro van. Of course she learned to drive in a 1987 2WD Ford Ranger longbed in Michigan. No ABS, no traction control, no stability control, and about 35% of the vehicle weight on the rear axle.

That is what makes most RWD vehicles harder to driver - poor weight balance. Most ICE vehicles have front weight bias because the engine is in the front. That isn't an issue for EVs.