View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Yes siree! The Astro had snow tires. The Dodge didn't. My Avalon has a set of dedicated rims with snow tires. My 1985 VW Golf Diesel also had a set of dedicated rims with snow tires. Both the Golf and Avalon had/have a set of snow chains I carry around too. I had a set of rims I was going to put snow tires on for the Super Beetle too but had a hard time finding snow tires for it. My 1993 Mazda 323 also had a set of rims with snow tires on them.

I always look for a spare set of rims and put snow tires on them.

That little Golf was a tank in the winter with snow tires and chains, even without any traction control. I even pulled out a Ford Expedition one day that was stuck in a downhill driveway. Also a Subaru from a snowbank. Not bad for a car that had cost me $600. Again, I liked being able to steer my driving wheels.
Makes sense - the 2nd gen Golf has 63% of the weight on the front axle.

Good that you have snow tires - so many people that live in snowy climates don't. That would include me - I never had snow tires when I lived in Michigan and didn't know anyone that did. I bought chains when I moved to the Smoky Mtns and ski patrolled. We had to get up to the resort first thing even if the plow hadn't cleared the road. I got my first set of dedicated snow tires when I moved to Oregon and snow tires or chains were required to cross the passes. After taking chains on and off a dozen times in a weekend the first thing I did when I got home was order a set of snow tires on dedicated wheels. They go on at Thanksgiving and come off at Easter.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (03-28-2021)