View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Well he said he was nailing in place then cutting, he didn't say he was removing and reinstalling. Tooth thickness creates a minimum kerf, set increases it

How do you hold 1/32 over a couple of foot in wood in Oregon during a wet summer? Not critical, just amazed it could be done. I can't measure that accurate on a standard tape measure.
My wife complains that all my projects take too long because I try to hold machining tolerances with wood (which is true). I use a very fine tip sharpie for marking and generally measure once but cut 2 - 3 times. The first cut is intentionally long and then I "sneak up" on the dimensions with a test fit between each cut.

We don't have wet summers in Oregon. The wet season is Oct - April and the dry season is May - September.

You do have to be careful not to build things too tight in the summer and then watch them swell and buckle in the wet season. I had to buy a dehumidifier this winter because my bamboo floor I laid down 6 years ago was starting to buckle when the sun hit it through the sliding door. It is a floating floor with the correct spacing around the perimeter. However, it has shifted over the years and touches the walls in some places. I would never do a floating floor over a wood subfloor again - nothing but problems with this one. I did the same floor on a concrete slab in Alabama with no issues.