View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #929 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'd like to get a touring bike at some point and would likely utilize GPS when I'm in unfamiliar territory. Still don't know why I'd want my bike to brake uncommanded. Also don't care for ABS, but maybe some sort of traction control could increase safety. I can't react to loss of traction as quickly as a machine can.
The place for autobraking is the same on a motorcycle as on a car - when the driver / rider isn't paying attention for some reason.

I find your stance on ABS vs traction control odd. You admit that you can't react as quickly to a loss of traction under power as a the computer but don't see the same benefit for a loss of traction under braking? Either way the machine is always watching for slip and can modulate faster than a human.

Just adding up my street crashes from 25 years and more than 100K miles of riding. 3 crashes that could be easily prevented by ABS, 1 crash that could have easily been prevented by traction control, 1 crash that couldn't be prevented by either.

This is my go-to test for ABS vs non-ABS. A bit old but ABS system have only gotten better.

If you want to skip to the results:
Non ABS 1: 92 meters (BMW Touring Rider)
Non ABS 2: 59 meters (British Superstock racer)
Non ABS 3: 66 meters (MCN tester)
ABS: 75 meter (BMW Touring Rider) - 17 meters
ABS: 42 meters (British Superstock racer) - 15 meters
ABS: 61 meters (MCN Tester) - 5 meters

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (04-05-2021)