View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #944 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Rear slides are way more common because that's the only wheel with power. Often they are recoverable, but occasionally they recover catastrophically (high-side). Losing the front is hardly ever a problem because braking is done prior to turn apex, and the speed is locked in at that point. You're either within the performance envelope and not crashing, or no amount of ABS can salvage the turn.
Yes, high-sides aren't fun - I've totaled a bike that way.

Braking should be done on corner entry prior to the apex and it normally is. However, sometime people misjudge the corner and what was a continuous radius turn turns into a decreasing radius turn and a bit more braking is needed. It is nice to have some computerized help to get the mix of braking and corner grip right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
In a straight line, I can't lock my front wheel without going over the handlebars unless I'm on a very large banana peel. In a corner, I shouldn't be touching the front brake.
All well and good when the pavement is clean and dry. In the real world with rain, oil slicks, puddles, gravel, mud, manhole covers, painted lines, etc - grip can vary quite a bit. I know from personal experience it is very possible to lock a wheel on a small patch of gravel and be on the ground in a blink of the eye - even braking in a straight line.

Yes, on a sportbike like yours you would likely be over the handlebars before locking the wheel in a straight line on clean dry pavement. My ZX-7RR would lift the rear wheel under hard braking. Other styles of bikes will lock a wheel well before doing a stoppie.

ABS is also a great training tool. It give riders the confidence to practice braking harder and harder and actually see what their bike can do without the fear of locking the wheels and crashing.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-05-2021)