View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
mpghunter
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Still didn't answer the questions of why the arbitrary criteria of 50 MPG @ 70 and not a hybrid.

The first question of vehicle purchase is what is the intended utility of it. From there other factors like reliability, fuel economy, cost to operate get factored in.

A gen I Insight with disabled hybrid system I'm sure would hit those economy figures. Probably most any motorcycle too.
I often need to get to my destination quickly. So I drive 70mph. Which is actually slower than the flow on traffic in this interstate freeway. I used to have a gen one insight. But it had issues with IMA that caused the CEL to come on and I couldnt pass inspection. Im concerned i will have issues again, being how old they are becoming. Also I may need back seats to carry a third passenger. The reason I didnt want a prius, is because most of my driving will be on the freeway. And the prius dosnt get better MPG on the freeway than most small eco cars. I just want a light, cheap, simple economy car that I can pound the miles on and little can go wrong with it. That has back seats. So far It looks like I will either get a manual Mirage or Echo. Just wanted to make sure there wasnt another option out there that gets better MPG at 70 mph.