Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2021, 04:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: texas
Posts: 9
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_a_t_t View Post
I would recommend checking this out to see who is getting what in what (mouthful haha). Driving style, commute length, etc. No one is even getting 70 mpg right now, so probably the only way you would get that much is with some elbow grease.
Sorry for confusion, as I accidentally put 70 mpg in the title when I meant 70 mph. 50+ mpg at 70 mph is my actual target. Just wanting to know the top cars to choose from.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Germany
Posts: 88

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 39.36 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Thanks: 12
Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpghunter View Post
50+ mpg at 70 mph is my actual target. Just wanting to know the top cars to choose from.
There are quite a few cars capable of doing that, to name a few:
VW Lupo 3L
VW Lupo 1.2 TDi
VW Lupo 1.4 TDi
Audi A2 3L
Audi A2 1.2 TDi
Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Several 1.9 TDi models
Mercedes Benz E200 D (W211/S211) (didn't belive it untill I actualy archived it in a wagon, 4,2L/100km at 110 km/h or 56 mpg at about 70 mph)
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed
 
Piotrsko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 1826 miles WSW of Normal
Posts: 1,772
Thanks: 176
Thanked 493 Times in 421 Posts
Forgot the VW jetta mk 5,6
Vw diesel pick up (looks like a rabbit without the back)
Metro with the 3banger
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,261
Thanks: 213
Thanked 980 Times in 668 Posts
I would vote Cruise diesel or one of the 4 cylinder VW diesels.

This is just the use a diesel is going to shine at. The small gas cars start to drop off in efficiency faster at that kind of speed. I bet the cruise diesel might hit that 70 mpg mistake post at the opposite 50 mph, but should hit 50 mpg at 70 mph.

The raw EPA mileage testing shows it right around 70 mpg in the unadjusted old highway test which stays under 55 mph.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
mpghunter (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: texas
Posts: 9
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
There are quite a few cars capable of doing that, to name a few:
VW Lupo 3L
VW Lupo 1.2 TDi
VW Lupo 1.4 TDi
Audi A2 3L
Audi A2 1.2 TDi
Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Several 1.9 TDi models
Mercedes Benz E200 D (W211/S211) (didn't belive it untill I actualy archived it in a wagon, 4,2L/100km at 110 km/h or 56 mpg at about 70 mph)
Thanks for suggestion, but sadly most of those are not availble in the us. Also in Texas and US diesel is 15%+ plus, more expensive than gasoline. So the extra mpg, doesn't make up the deference in money saved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,438

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 381
Thanked 721 Times in 539 Posts
The closest modern car that comes close to 50mpg is the 5MT Mirage

Otherwise itís Geos and ancient Hondas
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (04-17-2021), mpghunter (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,261
Thanks: 213
Thanked 980 Times in 668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpghunter View Post
Thanks for suggestion, but sadly most of those are not availble in the us. Also in Texas and US diesel is 15%+ plus, more expensive than gasoline. So the extra mpg, doesn't make up the deference in money saved.
Then the best is the Mirage, but you won't probably hit 50mpg going that fast unless you draft other cars and trucks. By draft I don't mean 6" off the bumper like a Nascar star, there is pretty good effect at a flow of traffic normal following distance.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,438

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 381
Thanked 721 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Then the best is the Mirage, but you won't probably hit 50mpg going that fast unless you draft other cars and trucks. By draft I don't mean 6" off the bumper like a Nascar star, there is pretty good effect at a flow of traffic normal following distance.
Driven to the floorboards my Subaru 360 sedan gets 50mpg with 40psi in the tires but the top end is 75mph on down depending on wind and terreign

There are also a handful of diesel smart cars in the us that get 50mpg+

He might have to go through the fun of maintaining an antique
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
mpghunter (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,841

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.24 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 27.02 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,075
Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,535 Posts
Still didn't answer the questions of why the arbitrary criteria of 50 MPG @ 70 and not a hybrid.

The first question of vehicle purchase is what is the intended utility of it. From there other factors like reliability, fuel economy, cost to operate get factored in.

A gen I Insight with disabled hybrid system I'm sure would hit those economy figures. Probably most any motorcycle too.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: texas
Posts: 9
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Still didn't answer the questions of why the arbitrary criteria of 50 MPG @ 70 and not a hybrid.

The first question of vehicle purchase is what is the intended utility of it. From there other factors like reliability, fuel economy, cost to operate get factored in.

A gen I Insight with disabled hybrid system I'm sure would hit those economy figures. Probably most any motorcycle too.
I often need to get to my destination quickly. So I drive 70mph. Which is actually slower than the flow on traffic in this interstate freeway. I used to have a gen one insight. But it had issues with IMA that caused the CEL to come on and I couldnt pass inspection. Im concerned i will have issues again, being how old they are becoming. Also I may need back seats to carry a third passenger. The reason I didnt want a prius, is because most of my driving will be on the freeway. And the prius dosnt get better MPG on the freeway than most small eco cars. I just want a light, cheap, simple economy car that I can pound the miles on and little can go wrong with it. That has back seats. So far It looks like I will either get a manual Mirage or Echo. Just wanted to make sure there wasnt another option out there that gets better MPG at 70 mph.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
highway

Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com