View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #63 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
The problem with the Aptera is that it's a sub-economy car with a price tag that doesn't match. People needing such efficient transportation for financial reasons who are also willing to sacrifice utility will not be able to afford the initial purchase price.

The other demographic is diehard efficiency geeks, but that is a tiny percent of the population. Rarely do I find someone more interested in efficiency than me (1 in 10,000 maybe?), but even I won't buy this vehicle. It's extremely niche, which doesn't necessarily mean a product isn't viable, but poses extra hurdles to profitability. No economies of scale, and you've got to market to just the right people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
A more pressing issue is that we are under 10 years of proven oil for the first time.
I hadn't heard that, or know what the implication is.

If that means reduced oil supply, the futures market would be reflecting this information right now, which would increase fossil fuel prices.

Of course, increasing futures prices also spurs development of fossil fuel extraction, which then increases supply and brings prices back down.

This is the reason why fossil fuels can't "run out". They can become so expensive that they are hardly used, but it would take hundreds of years to reach that point.

I hope I live to see peak oil, as that will mean humanity has found a cheaper way to power the planet, meaning even more prosperity for all.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!