View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 09:06 PM   #187 (permalink)
M_a_t_t
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
I've been mostly working on my 95 Astro lately so I can use it as a reliable backup. I'm hoping to get my drivetrain swap in the Mercury done before next winter. While it is warm I can ride my motorcycle and use the van if needed (heavy rain, etc) so I will be safe to take the car down for awhile. My plan is in 3/4 steps.
1. Fix the bad rust, just what is necessary to keep it on the road
2. Drive train swap
3. Fix the small rust
4. Work on aero. Both making more permanent setups for current mods and experimenting with new mods.

I've gotten a lot done with the van that has been on the list for awhile now, but I will save that for its build thread. I still want to get that MPG up, but since it's just a toy/hauling vehicle I won't be too serious about it.

Recently though I've done a few things. I re-did the separation edges on the tail lights and bumper as well as add a rear diffuser. I haven't done anymore testing on it yet and I know you usually want to start at the front, but it was much easier to just add a rear one while I was messing with the separation edges. What you don't see in the last picture is some self tappers going into the spare wheel well. I ended up replacing those with a piece of flat stock with 2 bolts welded to it and bolted through the drain plugs in the well. I did put the wheel skirts back on, just don't have a current picture right now.

I just finished a little bit of weight reduction tonight. I added a vacuum gauge (had lying around). I was able to use a hose from the cruise control for it so I didn't have to buy anything. Then I removed the cruise control stuff from the car. Saved 1.35 kg (~3 lbs) not including the addition of the vacuum gauge itself.

Edit:
I did add some tools to keep in the car. I found a partially crushed toolbox (small tacklebox sized one) in the trash at work so I hammered it back into shape and welded a corner where it split open and added a small bottle jack and some simple tools. So the weight savings is pretty much counter-acted now.

Here are some as it sits pictures. Have been consistently getting pretty decent MPG lately.

1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA

Last edited by M_a_t_t; 04-23-2021 at 07:36 PM..