View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #101 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Yes, there are incentives to buy EVs in the USA but the federal EV tax credit isn't available to the people that need it the most.

It is pretty laughable to say there are incentives to not buy an ICE vehicle in the USA. Gas is cheap and our CAFE requirements are weak and designed to favor larger vehicles and "trucks". Automakers are sitting on lots of fuel efficiency technology because it simply isn't needed to meet regulations in the USA and the average US car buyer doesn't care about fuel economy.

The average new vehicle's fuel economy has only increased 14% since the late 80's and dropped from 2018 to 2019.

EPA's latest Automotive Trend Report (2019)
https://www.epa.gov/automotive-trend...-trends-report
What are the minimum efficiency requirements for EVs? What percent of the electric bill represents taxes?

CA has an average gasoline price of $4 currently. Of that, 72 cents is taxes, or 18%. When gasoline prices are lower, the taxes represent higher proportions of the cost.

The argument that lower income people have less means is pointless to mention because that is always the case. That's the inevitable outcome of absolutely everything in the universe being distributed unequally. Putting lower income people into EVs doesn't even make sense considering they are less likely to own a home in which they can charge it, can't afford to spend $2,000 on an L2 charger, and shouldn't be buying brand new vehicles in the first place.

I'm not finding your counter compelling to my statement that there are massive government incentives to purchase EVs that ICE don't share, and disincentives levied on ICE that aren't reciprocated to EVs. Of course, "massive" is subjective.

Maybe we should pass a law giving every licensed driver a taxpayer funded EV for free. Every person just buys an EV for the person to their left, and we all get a free EV.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-04-2021 at 11:17 AM..