View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
What software are you using? You can probably take the raw binary and jack up the values there. If it lets you go to 1.2, it probably will go higher. (as opposed to e.g. an early Bosch ECU, where it's encoded in 8 bit and 127 = stoich)
Hondata's KPro.

I can trick the program into letting me enter a higher value into the field, and then I can upload it, but I can't save it.

Anyway, I think I figured out (one of the reasons) why Honda's lean burn engines all have a separate "lean burn mode" the car enters under certain conditions, rather than simply having it run lean at part throttle and get progressively richer at higher loads:

On a cold start, my engine stumbles for a minute if it's much leaner than 14.7:1. Meaning, I needed to set up a lambda limit curve, based on temperature. However, there is no way to progressively increase timing in the lean burn section of the map, without doing it to the entire map. Therefore, until the engine has been running long enough to lean out, it's running too much timing advance for the air fuel ratio. I imagine this isn't an issue when it's only 5 degrees ignition timing at <60% manifold pressure, but if I tried to go much leaner, and needed, say, 10 degrees of timing, that might be another matter.