View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My 0.6L motorcycle weighs under 500 lbs and gets worse fuel economy than my 1.8L 1.5-ton Prius.

Larger vehicles don't necessarily have to be inefficient, and vice versa. The RAV4 Prime supposedly achieves 40 MPG while having 300 horsepower on tap.
The RAV4 also has less leg room, 4-star overall NHTSA crash-test rating, barely makes the IIHS's Top Safety Picks list (only with certain options) and with the same engine configuration gets less fuel mileage than the Camry, even though it's only about 50 to 70lbs heavier than the Camry.

The Camry, on the other hand, has more leg room, a perfect NHTSA crash-test rating, is on the Top Safety Picks Plus list, and, when paired with the same engine, gets better fuel mileage than the RAV4.

What the RAV4 has going for it is higher ground clearance and double the cargo capacity and that they made a Prime version of it. The RAV4 may have more head room, but after being in the rear of a few and in the rear of several Camrys, I'd take the Camry any day for better leg room.