View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #50 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
Ah, yes the honda dream, I have read that paper, the concern was the lift in a crosswind and subsequent instability, and However, this all comes back to the issue and probably real reason why this isn't implemented, is that solar cars have access to ridiculously low lift/drag (Crr) tyres, so there is no way that lifting the body would reduce total drag. At least that is what I thought until I reread the papers

The honda dream was pitched up 0.4 degrees to reduce drag during the race, and the sunswift iv was pitched to generate 10kg lift to decrease drag.

However, I will accept that at high speeds the stability of both of these were an issue, the honda dream had to be pitched down 0.4 degrees to remain completely stable at high speed at the expense of rolling resistance, same with the sunswift iv.
So, one of the lowest drag cars ever created in the world to run on a public roads had driver handling issues with just 14 per cent rear lift in crosswinds, but you're suggesting 50 per cent lift would be fine?

Anyone can construct in a 'thought experiment' a series of scenarios where anything is possible, but I'd much prefer to look at the real world - what has been achieved, and what the problems were.

As far as I am aware, there has never been a road car of any type, ever created anywhere, where aerodynamic lift was a positive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-28-2021), AeroMcAeroFace (05-28-2021)