Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2021, 06:48 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
The issue of yaw stability in planes is solved by having the center of mass in front of the center of pressure .
Additionaly the the pitch stability is solved by the center of gravity beeing ahead of the center of lift of the airfoil and the elevator creating downforce.
This also works in simmilar ways for ground effect vehicles, but here the ground effect adds some additional altitude stability.

In cars that still touch the ground you wouldn't be able to do that as any lift on the front axle causes the front axle to move up and generate more lift.
Eventualy leading to the entire car taking off uncontrolled when it spirals out of controll.

There are cars with the center of gravity behind the center of drag.
These cars can get aerodynamicly unstable at high speed.
If you've ever driven an MR2 at 200 km/h or more without the spare tire in place, you'll know what I'm talking about.
The opposite case can be found in front engine frront wheel drive wagons with their center of gravity beeing far ahead of the center of drag, wich makes them realy stable at topspeed.

To move the center of drag (or rather pressure) rear, you want vertical finns on the rear of your car.

A big issue with rear end lift is that it creates oversteer, wich can be dangerous at high speed.
A big issue with front end lift is that it can get out of controll and make the car take off entirely.
In passenger cars this is not at all a good idea.

Before going into such marginal gains with as high of a risk as that, there are other things to optimize.
Such as variable cooling systems, better undertrays and ending the SUV-craze.

The Following User Says Thank You to Autobahnschleicher For This Useful Post:
AeroMcAeroFace (05-27-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2021, 07:00 AM   #42 (permalink)
Long time lurker

Running the numbers like aerohead suggested, reading the literature like Julian suggested

Well it was more to start a debate about whether lift is in itself bad. I don't believe it is.

If 10kg of lift is going to upset a car, then driving with very little fuel will have the same effect. The issue there is not lift, it is something else.

But I really want to discuss about the practical possibilities when lift could be used to reduce rolling resistance. Not all the applications where it can't, because I know there are many applications where it can't.

I am assuming road tyres, for a simple sort of "practical" solar car. Road tyres have a rolling resistance of 0.0008-0.0015

For example, a solar car that uses a symmetrical aerofoil (E475) with no angle of attack as the main body/panel carrier.

These aerofoils would have at zero alpha, a drag coefficient of 0.01, however changing this to a lifting aerofoil would produce increase the drag coefficient to 0.016, however the lift coefficient would be 1. This gives 166 times the increase in lift, for the increase in drag.

Aerofoils can and do go into negative lift, the NACA 2415 that I am referencing has neutral lift at 2 degrees, and negative lift at anything below that. A car with trailing arm suspension, as is typical on a solar car could lift the back wheels up and thus decrease the lift generated.

We can calculate the lift/drag, of tyres. For every Newton pushing down on the car tyre, there is between 0.008 and 0.015 Newtons pushing backwards. This gives a lift/drag of between 125 and 66. In the example provided above, we get a lift/additional drag of 166. This strongly suggests that lifting the car would reduce the rolling resistance by more than the extra drag created.

However stability would be an issue and a rudder to move the centre of pressure back would probably be necessary, however proportionally this rudder would have a generous 1/20 frontal area of the wing and because it is a symmetrical aerofoil would have half the Cd, this gives a total additional drag to lift ratio of 162/1.

However, all this overlooks a few assumptions, one is that the rolling resistance is 0.008-0.0015, but any team or company that would put this amount of work into making a car as odd as this would have access to the unobtainable ultra low rolling resistance tyres. It also ignores the ground effect, which may invalidate much of the lift/drag figures.

In response to the technical literature about lift, yes I have read many books and papers, and they all pretty much say that lift on a car is generally a bad thing, and of course I agree. However, as aerohead wrote earlier, imbalance of lift is the issue.

Quote:
If the uplift between the front and rear of the car is different, then the slip-angles generated by the front and rear tyres will not be equal; accordingly this will result in an under-or over-steer tendency instead of more neutral-steer characteristics. Thus uncontrolled lift will reduce the vehicle's road holding and may cause steering instability
But the fact is, that lift itself is not necessarily an issue providing it is balanced between front and rear, such that the load on the tyres does not change balance front/rear, planes do not crash on takeoff, ekranoplans and hovercraft do not crash when lift gets too high. However, on cars, as Julian explains, which are not designed to take advantage of this and have uneven F/R lift coefficients relative to the weight distribution then that is where the problem begins.

Lift on the cars Julian has driven, maybe that is an issue, but I still say that lift itself is not an issue for stability unless the vehicle is not designed to lift. Adding lift and equal distribution of lift is even desirable according to some
Quote:
In an ideal development
process, shape changes which reduce drag would also result in desirable overall lift and
distribution of lift, but this rarely occurs in practice and compromises will be required. https://www.mdpi.com/2311-5521/6/1/44
Quote:
Again, go read the research. In fact, it as a solar car that I was referring to above that had handling control problems with 14 per cent rear lift. Do you honestly believe that the solar teams have overlooked something like you suggest? Given that many of these cars have aerodynamic lift, it would have been obvious in their testing if total resistance fell with speed - especially if there were no downsides.
No, you are right, they haven't overlooked what I suggest, in fact they implement it, not all the time but they do.

Ah, yes the honda dream, I have read that paper, the concern was the lift in a crosswind and subsequent instability, and However, this all comes back to the issue and probably real reason why this isn't implemented, is that solar cars have access to ridiculously low lift/drag (Crr) tyres, so there is no way that lifting the body would reduce total drag. At least that is what I thought until I reread the papers

The honda dream was pitched up 0.4 degrees to reduce drag during the race, and the sunswift iv was pitched to generate 10kg lift to decrease drag.

However, I will accept that at high speeds the stability of both of these were an issue, the honda dream had to be pitched down 0.4 degrees to remain completely stable at high speed at the expense of rolling resistance, same with the sunswift iv.

Although it isn't entirely clear whether the downwards pitch increased drag through change in angle of attack or reduced lift. So I may be wrong here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	30724

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	30725

sources:
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/32425613.pdf

https://doi.org/10.1016/S0389-4304(98)00019-8

Last edited by AeroMcAeroFace; 05-27-2021 at 10:44 AM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AeroMcAeroFace For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-28-2021), freebeard (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 07:02 AM   #43 (permalink)
Long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
Before going into such marginal gains with as high of a risk as that, there are other things to optimize.
Such as variable cooling systems, better undertrays and ending the SUV-craze.
completely agree, this is a ridiculous idea, and it is theoretical, I would never do it, I don't have the resources and even if I was involved in a car build I don't think that the reward vs time spent is in any way realistic, but I wanted to debate about what it would take to get these marginal gains (if they even exist) once all the lower hanging fruit has been picked.

Last edited by AeroMcAeroFace; 05-27-2021 at 07:21 AM..

Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
completely agree, this is a ridiculous idea, and it is theoretical, I would never do it, I don't have the resources and even if I was involved in a car build I don't think that the reward vs time spent is in any way realistic, but I wanted to debate about what it would take to get these marginal gains (if they even exist) once all the lower hanging fruit has been picked.
I'd argue the ultimative hypermiler vehicle would be a small plane based on a glider that has a small diesel engine.
Such planes can have a glide ratio of about 1:50 at a weight of 500-600 kg.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #45 (permalink)
Long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
I'd argue the ultimative hypermiler vehicle would be a small plane based on a glider that has a small diesel engine.
Such planes can have a glide ratio of about 1:50 at a weight of 500-600 kg.
Solar gliders do exist, (although technically all gliders are solar really due to thermals), but gliders with solar panels exist. I do agree, theoretically infinite lift from thermals, and then battery and solar backups creating self launch capabilities.

I did wonder once, about wave lift, because that can go up to incredible heights. Theoretically, commercial airliners could fly along these lift lines and reduce fuel, but the passengers would hate it due to turbulence, the airlines would hate it due to having to take detours, the ATC/legal team would hate it because of the skyway restrictions.

I have never experienced wave lift, but circling in a thermal is certainly an interesting experience.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #46 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Btdt, in wave lift you're on the forward face so it's smooth as silk. The backside is a literal downer. But it's pretty much aligned with permutations or mountains that block the high speed winds it requires. AND it is a transient thing. Some days you can't easily get down, most days you aren't going up. Works lousy for regularly schedules services.

Your NASA2415. This is zero lift at -2 degrees relative, but it isn't at 0 drag. Whilst your studying look at the CD value chart for AOA. BTW a 64 series 45% laminar would be a better choice if you can accept the thinness and can generate the proper leading edge radius. It will also require a prone driver.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #47 (permalink)
Long time lurker

You are probably right, I didn't really pick aerofoils, it is beyond my level of knowledge.
It most certainly isn't zero drag, but at negative 2 degrees the additional drag as a result of the AoA is very small. Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	30726

However, all that could be invalidated by the ground effect, again my knowledge of aerofoils in the ground effect is limited, the additional drag may be far more, the neutral lift point may not be -2 degrees, I can only go on my limited interpretation of the data which may be wrong.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #48 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Ground effect works primarily by masking the high pressure drag effect on the bottom which is why it only works so high. Or as it was explained me. Since you have more lift, you reduce the AOA, which makes you less draggy.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle
Quote:
I did wonder once, about wave lift, because that can go up to incredible heights. Theoretically, commercial airliners could fly along these lift lines and reduce fuel, but the passengers would hate it due to turbulence, the airlines would hate it due to having to take detours, the ATC/legal team would hate it because of the skyway restrictions.

I have never experienced wave lift, but circling in a thermal is certainly an interesting experience.
Where I live wave lift is damn near impossible to find as we don't have no mountains here.
Only one guy here has ever archived it close to our airfield, and we've got quite a few competitive guys here.
He climbed a steady 0,5 m/s on a wave from an open pit mine.

However as waves tend to rather slow, airliners would still sink in them.

One way of breaking a few world records would be to get up even further to make use of certain global wind systems at high altitude.
But getting there would be quite a challenge as thermals only get you up into the clouds and waves also don't go as high while your stallspeed gets closer and closer to your VNE.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Ah, yes the honda dream, I have read that paper, the concern was the lift in a crosswind and subsequent instability, and However, this all comes back to the issue and probably real reason why this isn't implemented, is that solar cars have access to ridiculously low lift/drag (Crr) tyres, so there is no way that lifting the body would reduce total drag. At least that is what I thought until I reread the papers

The honda dream was pitched up 0.4 degrees to reduce drag during the race, and the sunswift iv was pitched to generate 10kg lift to decrease drag.

However, I will accept that at high speeds the stability of both of these were an issue, the honda dream had to be pitched down 0.4 degrees to remain completely stable at high speed at the expense of rolling resistance, same with the sunswift iv.
So, one of the lowest drag cars ever created in the world to run on a public roads had driver handling issues with just 14 per cent rear lift in crosswinds, but you're suggesting 50 per cent lift would be fine?

Anyone can construct in a 'thought experiment' a series of scenarios where anything is possible, but I'd much prefer to look at the real world - what has been achieved, and what the problems were.

As far as I am aware, there has never been a road car of any type, ever created anywhere, where aerodynamic lift was a positive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-28-2021), AeroMcAeroFace (05-28-2021)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread