View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Use a metal frame across the rear suspension to hold the panelling in place.

My video on bellypans (and be warned, I don't like coroplast):
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
So you know about the durability of Coroplast. Okay for cutting templates, but not a lot else.

If you want to use it for test purposes, at least wrap the edges with your favorite tape to seal the corrugations.
Thanks for the tips guys! Julian, that is an excellent video!
The coroplast is definitely short term for testing, or at least until I can get the funds to use some sort of sheet metal. I'll be sure to seal the sides when I'm done fitting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
Consider swapping out the tires for more economy focused ones.
A lower rolling resistance is often underestimated, but it makes a significant difference, especialy in heavier vehicles.

Also:
Holy ****, that underbody looks like an aerodynamic nightmake in stock configuration.

Maybe also consider a different vehicle for daily driving, yours will never be efficient.
I have thought about putting some LRR tires on my old rims and saving these snow tires for... snow. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet. My daily driver is actually my Corolla. My problem, though is that the car is too small for me and is physically hurting me so I need to start driving this, hence the need to improve the MPGs. Back when I was driving hundreds of miles a day, I was using the Corolla, but now that I'm down to about 40 a day I need to bite the economy bullet to save my health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
I have had a coroplast belly pan on my VW Golf for 10 years. I have some things for you to consider, some Dos and Don'ts
Thanks for the tips! At this point getting the proper support is my biggest issue...

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-03-2021), freebeard (06-03-2021)