View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
I got phase 1A done of the front belly pan. It's by no means perfect, but I can work with it as I move along.

The only way I can get it attached using factory mounting points/holes is to use four screws, two in the front and two in the back. I know on the back I could get two more bolts, but that would only be in the middle. You guys said to go more than I think and I think I need more as it is! Plus they are only towards the middle of the pan, the edges are completely unsupported spanning the length. I just don't see how I can attach anything without modification. I don't really want to be using rivets or screwing into the bumper/"air dam". And I would also like to keep the pan frame approximately level with what's already there, I don't want to bring the pan down lower than it has to be.

I'm thinking about cutting the pan in half and covering the whole span so that the bumper section in the corners gets covered and I have a better support throughout. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to get the approach angle to match up with the middle section. More tinkering on that...

But I still need to find a better way to actually attach it. I can screw in through the bottom lip of the air dam, I just don't really want to do that unless there's no other way. I wonder if I could somehow "glue" a nut onto the inside of the air dam lip so it won't be noticeable. Although now that I think of it, that would mean screwing in from the top which I wouldn't be able to access. *thinking cap on*
I was thinking something like this which is how I attached to the front of the pan, just with an inverted bolt.

It's a good thing it's night, I'm going to have to shower and sleep on this. My best thinking times!

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-03-2021)