View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I meant relative to US adoption.

Hitting 50% sales has more to do with EVs becoming better over time than anything else.

I don't think EVs really need to get better - they need to get cheaper. I think a lot of people would be OK with waiting to charge a car for 30 minutes every 200 miles on a road trip if that EV cost the same or less than a gas car and saved them money on fuel every day.

Other countries building economy of scale for EVs will help reduce costs. Car companies building EVs on dedicated platforms optimized for EVs will help bring down cost as will going form building tens of thousands of a car to hundreds of thousands of that car. With volume comes cost savings.

The big unknown is charging. Will we build out the charging network necessary to make long distance EV travel possible? I don't know. It will happen organically in some areas were there are enough EVs to justify building out the network. Other rural and remote areas will need to be subsidized just like we subsidize building road networks, telephones, internet and other infrastructure into rural areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
falkin42 (06-26-2021)