View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 12:25 AM   #1022 (permalink)
Snax
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I think the shorts will be fine. As I keep saying, there's no future in bending metal into vehicle-shaped objects. Someone mentioned FUV is thinking of autonomous driving in the future... now there could be money there, but I don't see how they'd compete at this stage in the game against the likes of Google, GM, and Tesla. Heck, Uber sold their interest in autonomous driving and that was their only hope of profitability.
I think like most technology, the capabilities to handle that will both improve and come down in price to implement it. Realistically, they are very simple systems mechanically, so it is really all about sensing and processing the environment. I envision that being a plug and play kind of solution for the auto industry ultimately, much like the company that manufactures the onboard charger hardware for numerous brands.

I would agree that it's a bit optimistic at this point to be pushing the idea for FUV, but it will likely become very common industry-wide within the next 5-10 years.