View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 06:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
freedomev
EcoModding Lurker

aero and power.

I too just stumbled on this thread as a proud brand new owner of an 07 VX1 and very long time aero and EV enthusiast and amazed to find you that might have answers I need.
So can the controller be turned up or another controller be used to get more power, speed?
What mph/kph would the motor overspeed at? I'd like to make a fast, 80mph/110kph highway Streamliner from one.
Mine still has the NiMH pack and seems to be coming back from the dead to barely alive. This morning I'll take it for my first ride on it if the rain stops. I don't expect it to be long.
I have a 6kwh Volt module 148vdc max pack for it once I get everything sorted out before I convert it. It has a bad charger but I have others.
Back to aero. I've taken off even the battery cover/fans and sat even lower and for me is comfortable on a pillow. Someone with longer legs might not. So low I can't see the indicator lights.
I've never seen an easier aero mod. Just a couple front lower body extensions keeping your pantlegs out of the airstream and bending so slightly inward takes care of the whole lower MC aero.
I haven't decided on the rear body yet. I'll do some streamer tests and see how it works out. Some more battery low and storage above though won't be anywhere like Ben's. I prefer my tailcones formed by directed airflow, not material and lower drag in sidewinds so my aero bodies are cut off sharply after directing the airflow inward gently.
Next I took a 20"x44" piece of clear plastic and bent it over the upper bodywork formed a near perfect aero windshield that only needed trimming and some brackets.
MCs need their side pressure center to be aft their CG so self correcting in a sidewind. I hope I said that correctly.
All my mods will be reversible as I think this will become a collector's item in the future. In fact I'm very impressed just how well engineered it is.
And still more advanced than new EV MCs that haven't figured out for 10-15 lbs of plastic they can save 100-150lbs of battery, it's cost, space.
Thanks,
Jerry