Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
How do you get to the stuff in the plastic tub?
The plastic tub itself is within arm's reach. I simply pull the tub out, get what I need, then drop the tub back in.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not to worry about cross winds. This is a proven design.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Early on, Craig added a bunch of weight to the front end of his build to help with stabilization. Did that go away in later revisions? JJ
Old 09-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
In the movie World's Fastest Indian, Burt Munro adds lead weight to the front after demonstrating the aerodynamics with a cigar and toothpick; I think he removes it again.

A great movie, I should watch it again.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The use of weights is to move the center of mass forward in relation to the center of pressure. Down force of any kind whether by weights or wings has been used. My suggestion is to use a clean sailplane body shape and add some small canards or strakes to the nose if needed. Craig Vetter lowered the position of the 36 lb weights to make the scooter steering more responsive.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I ended up having my extra chargers mounted near my ankles. That got the weight of them up as forward and low as I could go without having to make major modifications to the whole front of the bike.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-14-2015)
Old 04-23-2017, 01:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

85 Chevy Pickup C10 - '85 Chevy C10
I realize that this is an old thread, but I just found it. I did R&D on these Vectrix scooters before they were released to the public. They outsourced the initial design to the company that I used to work for. I hand built the first 100+ charge controllers, and motor controllers.

We had a test unit that ran, but it didn't have a body on it. It also didn't have the safety limits enabled, so if you punched it, it would put full power to the wheels. This was radically reduced in the production version. So you could flat smoke most crouch-rockets as they never had a clue how fast an e-scooter could be. My first time riding it, I stood the scooter up in a giant pucker wheelie as I was expecting it to be a dog. These are not! Even with the limits on they are still pretty peppy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChopStix For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-29-2017)
Old 06-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopStix View Post
I realize that this is an old thread, but I just found it. I did R&D on these Vectrix scooters before they were released to the public. They outsourced the initial design to the company that I used to work for. I hand built the first 100+ charge controllers, and motor controllers.

We had a test unit that ran, but it didn't have a body on it. It also didn't have the safety limits enabled, so if you punched it, it would put full power to the wheels. This was radically reduced in the production version. So you could flat smoke most crouch-rockets as they never had a clue how fast an e-scooter could be. My first time riding it, I stood the scooter up in a giant pucker wheelie as I was expecting it to be a dog. These are not! Even with the limits on they are still pretty peppy.
Hi Chopstix,
Million dollar question - might you still have access to some of the 'unlimited' firmware for the Vectrix motor controllers? I'd love to hear some more about your experience there if you have time. I've been an avid Vectrix owner in the UK since 2007ish - so one of the first! Thanks for your time ;-) Drew
Old 06-15-2021, 06:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aero and power.

I too just stumbled on this thread as a proud brand new owner of an 07 VX1 and very long time aero and EV enthusiast and amazed to find you that might have answers I need.
So can the controller be turned up or another controller be used to get more power, speed?
What mph/kph would the motor overspeed at? I'd like to make a fast, 80mph/110kph highway Streamliner from one.
Mine still has the NiMH pack and seems to be coming back from the dead to barely alive. This morning I'll take it for my first ride on it if the rain stops. I don't expect it to be long.
I have a 6kwh Volt module 148vdc max pack for it once I get everything sorted out before I convert it. It has a bad charger but I have others.
Back to aero. I've taken off even the battery cover/fans and sat even lower and for me is comfortable on a pillow. Someone with longer legs might not. So low I can't see the indicator lights.
I've never seen an easier aero mod. Just a couple front lower body extensions keeping your pantlegs out of the airstream and bending so slightly inward takes care of the whole lower MC aero.
I haven't decided on the rear body yet. I'll do some streamer tests and see how it works out. Some more battery low and storage above though won't be anywhere like Ben's. I prefer my tailcones formed by directed airflow, not material and lower drag in sidewinds so my aero bodies are cut off sharply after directing the airflow inward gently.
Next I took a 20"x44" piece of clear plastic and bent it over the upper bodywork formed a near perfect aero windshield that only needed trimming and some brackets.
MCs need their side pressure center to be aft their CG so self correcting in a sidewind. I hope I said that correctly.
All my mods will be reversible as I think this will become a collector's item in the future. In fact I'm very impressed just how well engineered it is.
And still more advanced than new EV MCs that haven't figured out for 10-15 lbs of plastic they can save 100-150lbs of battery, it's cost, space.
Thanks,
Jerry

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aero, aerodynamics, boat tail, motorcycle, vectrix