View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #58 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
[QUOTE=RoBoBob;651840]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
There is one more thing I would like to mention: we will be getting a Rav4 Prime (if we can find one) in the near future. That has a tow rating of 2500 lbs. If We can find a trailer light enough, the Rav4 would definitely be very economical, especially because I might be able to tow with the electric only driving capability."

I had a Mazda CX5 rated to tow 2000 lbs. (USA), but found it was poorly suited to tow a boat nearing its tow rating due to the short wheelbase. If the trailer you tow is not very long, the RAV4 would do fine. You will definitely know that you are towing from the performance (the little trucks work hard to make the trailer move). But if it's a long trailer, you run the risk of the "tail wagging the dog" as the trailer loading can cause the duo to sway at the coupling (trailer hitch) - possibly some of the sway control packages for towing can fix it, but you don't want it to catch you/your wife by surprise. It could case a crash.
I've found this is particularly an issue if the center of mass is behind the trailer's wheels. The farther forward from its wheels the center of mass is, the less likely it is to wag the back of the tow vehicle.