View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #59 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
BOO!
I had hopes that a coop would be less draconian than a utility company would be. But I guess small people with low self-esteem like to inflict petty inconveniences and penalties on others ... because they can .. no matter what size the organization is.

Are you able to take the solar offline (no grid tie) and just turn it off when your batteries are full and you have no further loads?

I have a very small system (3 solar panels) and while I am experimenting it is definitely NOT grid tied. Too much paperwork.
A coop is a smaller entity, so the negative externalities of any individual solar installation has a greater proportion of impact than a large utility with more customers. With a large utility, costs can be distributed across a larger number of consumers to hide the impact.

Back in the day of mechanical meters, it was possible to do grid-tied guerilla solar. In other words, the utility didn't know and had no way of knowing because the meter simply ran backwards. As long as net consumption was slightly higher than solar production, the net would simply appear to the utility as extremely low electricity consumption.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!