View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
How many mph are you cruising at? For me i find myself driving 70 and 75 mph zones and my bike is buzzy up top. 07 klr 650. You can tell it is geared for 50 mph cruising in 5th.

Here's my mod list for the 07 KLR 650:
16" clearview front windshield: done
Wrap around crash bars: done
+2 front sprocket: purchased, need to install
Michelin Anakee Adventure Tires stock sizing: in progress

I went from *46 mpg to 52 mpg with the crash bars and windshield. Did them on the same tank of gas. I know for me I'm over-revving at 70 mph so the 15 to 17 front sprocket should make highway riding much nicer.

A lot of people are probably saying not to do the + sprocket because it makes them tougher to ride on slow trails and single track (you really have to ride the clutch because the idle is basically already faster than you wanna be moving lol). Kawasaki duals normally have a higher first gear anyways so it somewhat exacerbates the issue. lol

But i mostly just do paved roads and gravel roads.

I assume at 52 mpg if i trust the notoriously unreilable reserve that will get me about 350 miles bone dry.

I would say you would be okay with the + front sprocket depending on how non hardcore you are. If a +2 will fit with modifications even better. I know that our bikes weigh a similar amount, and both make 40 and 42 hp.

Most of the gains to be made on these at least for me are lowering the gearing as much as you can to barely maintain 70mph in 5th. We will see how the math works for me and if a +2 front is the max that will allow me to maintain 70 in 5th or if i can drop some teeth off the back as well and still maintain 70 in 5th. But hey there is always 4th gear? We will see how hardcore i wanna swing in this direction.

*Past that just shut it off at stop lights. On my daily 18 mile commute one way just shutting my cb 750 off at lights netted me +20% and i went from 46 to 55 mpg.

Last edited by hayden55; 07-14-2021 at 10:17 AM..