View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 09:36 PM   #103 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I ride the EUC IamIan sent my way about every other day. It's completely intuitive to me at this point and practically no scenario would cause me to fall... unless it randomly shuts off.

It did just that Sunday just as I left the house, and the security camera caught the beginning of the tumble. Minor scrapes to my hands, and my jeans and shirt protected my skin. While still bleeding I put on a helmet and completed the ride I had intended.

On my Monday ride I put a helmet and gloves on. We'll see if I continue with that discipline. I did purchase an airbag vest for the motorcycle, so clearly I'm thinking a bit more about safety than my younger self would. Funny how human instinct is to have a lower regard for safety when there's more life (in years) at risk to lose. Heck, infants are downright suicidal, and the very elderly panic stricken by risk.

My veterinarian friend took the EUC out for a spin while I took his Mom's Tesla Model X for a spin. He took a tumble too and scraped up his palms a little more than me. Fortunately no injury to his fingers, so he can perform surgeries. I should probably require people to wear gloves if they try riding the EUC, but to be fair, he's the only friend I have that would crash a thing the first day trying to learn it. He crashed my Segway by leaning past the pushback that occurs when you approach maximum speed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P15...ew?usp=sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
NYC is using the presence of a throttle on the bike as the deciding factor. Easy to see, easy to enforce, and any bike with a throttle is a motor vehicle in NYC.
The only E-bike I've ridden used the motor as an assist only; no throttle. You could dial in the assist level to the point that agressive assist was providing something like 5x the effort input.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!